My system is 13.2/KDE 4.14.9, Linux 3.16.7-24-desktop
I just returned from holiday(2 months), successfully ran a rather massive update one day ago.
Generally, system seems running very well.

I am attempting to burn a downloaded ISO image to DVD.
hwinfo reports this for each of my 2 DVD Burners:
Code:
59: SCSI 400.0: 10602 CD-ROM (DVD)
  [Created at block.249]
  Unique ID: KD9E.UE3JnqagSc9
  Parent ID: Eu86.4okphoSitB2
  SysFS ID: /class/block/sr0
  SysFS BusID: 4:0:0:0
  SysFS Device Link: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.1/ata5/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0
  Hardware Class: cdrom
  Model: "ATAPI iHAS424   B"
  Vendor: "ATAPI"
  Device: "iHAS424   B"
  Revision: "GL1A"
  Driver: "pata_atiixp", "sr"
  Driver Modules: "pata_atiixp"
  Device File: /dev/sr0 (/dev/sg3)
  Device Files: /dev/sr0, /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrw, /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ATAPI_iHAS424_B_3524253_2B8122500324, /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.1-ata-1.0, /dev/dvd, /dev/dvdrw
  Device Number: block 11:0 (char 21:3)
  Features: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL, DVD-RAM, MRW, MRW-W
  Drive status: no medium
  Config Status: cfg=yes, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #25 (IDE interface)
  Drive Speed: 48
I am using DVD-Rs from Verbatium, DataLifePlus, 2 years old.
I have successfully burned DVDs and CDs using k3b in the past, perhaps since oS 12.x.

When I try to burn with k3b, I get various I/O error messages.
I tried several different blank DVDs, wondering if I had a shelf life issue (they were purchased on 2013).
Some would fail immediately, some would fail at the end of the burn (before verify).

Thinking that it could be k3b, my media or perhaps my burner HW, I fired up my Win 8.1 VM with the DVD burner attached in passthru mode.
I find that the Win 8.1 Media Tools burner does successfully burn the media in the burner, and verify OK.
The directory structure looks correct, I have not used the resulting DVD yet.

Since it is totally unacceptable that Win can do something openSUSE cannot,
looking for suggestions/experiences/possible fixes.

My k3b is Ver 2.0.80 from Packman Repo.

I decided to post in applications since there is evidence, at least in one instance, that the media and hardware are OK.