Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gmail crashes on Firefox

Cool Gmail crashes on Firefox

On openSuSE 13.2 I can not use a version of Firefox any newer than 36.0.3 -or- it will crash when I log into my Gmail account. The latest updates from openSuSE contain Firefox version 40 -and- it crashes as soon as I try to log on to my Gmail account. No I can't switch to another email cause that is my Google Account that is needed for my Android Phone... and we have chats via the Gmail.

Is there some reason for this problem and most of all is there a fix. I have been waiting for it to work on each new Firefox version but it still does not.

Thanks,
    -Chuck
    Box: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6Ghz | AMD Radeon R7 240 | 32GB RAM | openSuSE Leap 15/ KDE Plasma 5.12.6

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gmail crashes on Firefox

I am not having any problems with gmail.

Admittedly, I haven't tried login. I've stayed logged in for a while. I don't remember which version of firefox that I was using at the time of the most recent login.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

On 2015-08-16 20:16, nrickert wrote:
    >
    > I am not having any problems with gmail.
    >
    > Admittedly, I haven't tried login. I've stayed logged in for a while.
    > I don't remember which version of firefox that I was using at the time
    > of the most recent login.

I don't have problems with it. I just tried now for verification.

I would try with a new /Linux/ user first, for diagnosis.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

As a workaround you could try google chrome or chromium for that.

why not use tunderbird as an email client, t-bird works great with gmail, it''s easy to configure
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...bird-and-gmail

I use t-bird for my gmail and avoid logging in to google as much as possible.
    I use t-bird for hotmail, netscape (aol) and yahoo too (there is a simple trick to get yahoo working with tbird the rest are natively supported)

Cool Re: Gmail crashes on Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    why not use tunderbird as an email client, t-bird works great with gmail, it''s easy to configure
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...bird-and-gmail

I use t-bird for my gmail and avoid logging in to google as much as possible.
    I use t-bird for hotmail, netscape (aol) and yahoo too (there is a simple trick to get yahoo working with tbird the rest are natively supported)
    Well, I do use t-bird for my "normal" mail -but- for my Android I need the Gmail. Ya gota have a Google account in order to do stuff on Android. And I use its chat to talk to my team members. I was lucky enough ... or un-lucky ?? -- to get elected as the OP for the HTC ReZound thread on XDA. I compile and put out the OS. CyanogenMod 11.0 is the version we are currently using. My phone is 3 and a half years old so there is not much going for it -but- we are trying -and- with help from the wonderful openSuSE community I build my Android OS's on openSuSE. I started it on 12.3 and moved up to 13.2 on my newest PC.

So what does all that have to do with this??? Just that I use Firefox and have been forever. I like it and don't care for the others. I'm sure some of you have the same feelings about your favourite. At any rate, I must use Gmail and in my 13.2 system the Gmail crashes when I try to logon/sign on to my Gmail account in any version newer than 36.0.3 of Firefox. I just updated my 13.2 with the latest today and Firefox version 40 was installed. Hmmmmm.... updated...?? could it be that I must remove all traces of the previous Firefox before updatint to the newer one???? Any thoughts on that?? I know strange things like that have been required in the past. Had a problem on my WebSite server with the history when I tried to signon from a different machine.

I'll check that out and get back to ya..
    -Chuck
    Box: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6Ghz | AMD Radeon R7 240 | 32GB RAM | openSuSE Leap 15/ KDE Plasma 5.12.6

Nope! I cleared the history and it was looking good ... cause I had to sign on to Google mail, password and all. -But- as soon as the mail page appeared it vanished!! Firefox closed out and nothing but my desktop. Had to restart Firefox and then quickly kill the restore of Gmail. Otherwise it would restore it and then disappear.... crash.

I filled out one of those reports that you get asked to do... but have not heard anything from Mozilla yet. Just thought that I would check in here and see if anyone else was experiencing this problem. Looks like not.

Thanks for trying,
    -Chuck

A few things to try.
    #1 start Firefox from a terminal and see the error messages when Firefox crashes.
    #2 it could be a damaged Firefox profile, start Firefox with the -P switch from a terminal and create a fresh new profile, see if the error is still there.
    I can logon to google/gmail from 13.2 with ff 39 (still haven't updated to 40) with no real issues, it could be a bad video driver try disabling hardware acceleration in firefox (Firefox does use gfx acceleration).

Well shame on me. I didn't search long enough or thoroughly enough before bothering all of you. It happens once in a while when I get frustrated and don't think. -But- maybe this will help someone else -and- I'm not out of the woods yet.

I found that the problem is with "gstreamer". https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1062807 I disabled gstreamer like was suggested and the problem went away. I will try updating gstreamer on my own -but- any, and all, suggestions will be accepted.

Thanks to all of you for your usual good responses,
    -Chuck

Hmmmm... I just looked and there is a whole lot of gstreamer code out there. Looks like I have version 1.4 and there are a number of pluggins. Once again, any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries

Gstreamer being an issue with Firefox? That's the first time I've heard of it.

Something else you can do is run firefox from a terminal (I don't know if it is just "firefox" or what the command would be at this time). When the browser crashes you may have some further information as to the reason/cause. It may confirm the gstreamer connection, or it may point to something completely different.

Also, try making sure all extensions are turned off in Firefox to make sure that isn't interfering with your Google account.

Since Gmail and Google Products are just online services, some possible work-arounds include

1. Using Thunderbird (Evolution or Kmail) to access your email/calendar/etc.
    2. Using Chromium (that would be my first choice) and see if that can access your Google account. Don't worry, it is still open source.

I'm using Tumbleweed (KDE) and Firefox (primary browser) and have not have had any issues getting my email. I also use Kmail sometimes, but over this weekend I am sure I accessed it via Firefox.

And, of course, run updates to see if there was something that is now fixed.

Good luck!
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast