Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to keep Tumbleweed up to data

Default Best way to keep Tumbleweed up to data

While Tumbleweed is a Rolling distributiion, I am curious how to keep this distributiion up to date THE best way:
    I know there is yast, apper, zypper....

Advice given me is use zypper up (and sometimes zypper dup)

What do you think?

Default Re: Best way to keep Tumbleweed up to data

Please be aware that comparing zypper, YaST and PackageKit (Apper is a KDE frontend to PackageKit) is different from comparing zypper up with zypper dup.

The first are software tools (e.g. zypper for the CLI, YaST for the GUI, but can also run on the CLI using ncurses), while zypper up is something thatt has a 100% equivalent in the other tools.

Also the important question is, should I use things equivalent to zypper up or zypper dup, or a combination.

And then you can freely decide which of the tools are handy for you at any moment.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by ritslinux View Post
    While Tumbleweed is a Rolling distributiion, I am curious how to keep this distributiion up to date THE best way:
    I know there is yast, apper, zypper....

Advice given me is use zypper up (and sometimes zypper dup)

What do you think?
    It depends on the situation at the time you update your system. More specifically that refers to your own repo configuration and how you prefer to control what gets updated from where.

If you only enable the main Tumbleweed repos and Packman then I think the easiest way to update is with "zypper -v dup", that gives enough detail about what packages its resolver proposes to install, update, and remove in the process. You can set a higher priority (lower number) for the Packman repo(s) so they are preferred for maintaining multimedia packages. There shouldn't be any package conflicts, but occasionally it happens when the resolver cannot make the decision, and will prompt you to chose one of its solutions. If you cannot decide don't go ahead with the proposed update, and check the forum and Factory ML, or ask for help as necessary. In that situation you could use "up" in place of "dup", where you will avoid conflict, vendor changes, and automatic removals of obsolete packages. In other words some changes won't happen, and that's why some users prefer "zypper up"

If you install packages from several other additional repos that you wish to retain, then "zypper up" is probably the safer way to proceed. Then you may need to sort out some additional changes manually and remove obsolete stuff.

If you install extra stuff from devel repos, then you are probably no longer running Tumbleweed and possibly on your own.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

On 2015-08-11 21:06, ritslinux wrote:

> Advice given me is use zypper up (and sometimes zypper dup)

Another possibility (still experimental):

Code:
    su -
    export SOLVER_FLAG_DUP_ALLOW_VENDORCHANGE=0
    zypper dup
    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Thanks, I will keep it to zypper.

I also noticed inprevious versions I used before (12.3 and 13.1) there was always a popup when important updates where available. Then with apper I kept the distro up to date.

In tumbleweed I do do not see such an popup, is this normal or just a typical tumbleweed-issue ?

On 2015-08-13 15:46, ritslinux wrote:

> In tumbleweed I do do not see such an popup, is this normal or just a
    > typical tumbleweed-issue ?

A feature :-p

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

On 08/13/2015 10:24 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
    > On 2015-08-13 15:46, ritslinux wrote:
    >
    >> In tumbleweed I do do not see such an popup, is this normal or just a
    >> typical tumbleweed-issue ?

>
    > A feature :-p
    >

Since TW is a rolling release there typically are no updates, at least
    in the sense that 13.2 has updates. Any changes to installed packages
    are handled by using zypper up/dup.

Ken

Thank you all for insights and advice.

I keep TW up to date with zypper up/dup, set packman to higher priority(lower number) and avoid conflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by ritslinux View Post
    I also noticed inprevious versions I used before (12.3 and 13.1) there was always a popup when important updates where available. Then with apper I kept the distro up to date.

In tumbleweed I do do not see such an popup, is this normal or just a typical tumbleweed-issue ?
    You probably refer to Apper's notifier/updater that ran in the system tray. Tumbleweed also had it with KDE4, but Plasma 5 changed this as Apper wasn't updated for it. I haven't tried to run it here, instead I installed "plasma5-pk-updates" which is also a PackageKit notifier/updater for the desktop's tray. Like Apper it performs the equivalent of a "zypper up", but I don't use it for actually updating to the latest snapshot (nor would I with Apper). However I do use it on a batch of Packman only updates.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    You probably refer to Apper's notifier/updater that ran in the system tray. Tumbleweed also had it with KDE4, but Plasma 5 changed this as Apper wasn't updated for it. I haven't tried to run it here, instead I installed "plasma5-pk-updates" which is also a PackageKit notifier/updater for the desktop's tray. Like Apper it performs the equivalent of a "zypper up", but I don't use it for actually updating to the latest snapshot (nor would I with Apper). However I do use it on a batch of Packman only updates.
    plasma5-pk-updates will also fail if there any update that needs a license acceptance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast