Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reparaing grub after WIndows 10 install

Default Re: Reparaing grub after WIndows 10 install

Can you boot to Linux? If so how Live media????

You can run Yast-Boot loader. Select boot code options
    tick boot from master record
    Do not tick write generic boot code to MBR or Set active flag

In Boot loader options tick Probe foreign OS

Select boot code options then boot loader installation detail Select the drive

This will install grub to the MBR. note if Windows decides to change it again you will have to redo

Default Re : Re: Reparaing grub after WIndows 10 install

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Can you boot to Linux? If so how Live media????
    I can't boot from my openSUSE partition but I can boot from boot-repair disk LIVE USB.

You can run Yast-Boot loader. Select boot code options
    tick boot from master record
    Do not tick write generic boot code to MBR or Set active flag

In Boot loader options tick Probe foreign OS
    Select boot code options then boot loader installation detail Select the drive
    I didin't understand you tell me (sorry I'm french).

This will install grub to the MBR. note if Windows decides to change it again you will have to redo
    I don't want to install grub into mbr but on the extended partition, this way next time windows want to modify boot he won't. Am' I right ?

PS : what is teh difference between a logical and an extended partition ?

Logical partition live inside extended partitions. So Extend partition may have many logical partitions in it. Extended don't have file systems the logical do. This is to get around the problem of having only 4 primary partitions allowed in the old legacy partitioning. The extended is counted as a primary and can contain many logical. So think of the extended as a container that holds logicals.

As to your understanding I'm guessing you don't understand tick in this context. It means to put a check mark in a box. If you run the program it is pretty obvious. If not that explain

There is no way to tell Yast to explicitly put grub on the extended. I think that if you select generic boot code to the MBR and the boot flag on boot partition (root) it will set things right. But I have never done that before from yast just the installer.

But they way I originally suggested I'm positive will get you booted and fixing it after MS messes it up is not that hard if you know what to do.

Logical partition live inside extended partitions. So Extend partition may have many logical partitions in it. Extended don't have file systems the logical do. This is to get around the problem of having only 4 primary partitions allowed in the old legacy partitioning. The extended is counted as a primary and can contain many logical. So think of the extended as a container that holds logicals.

As to your understanding I'm guessing you don't understand tick in this context. It means to put a check mark in a box. If you run the program it is pretty obvious. If not that explain

There is no way to tell Yast to explicitly put grub on the extended. I think that if you select generic boot code to the MBR and the boot flag on boot partition (root) it will set things right. But I have never done that before from yast just the installer.

But they way I originally suggested I'm positive will get you booted and fixing it after MS messes it up is not that hard if you know what to do.
    I don't understand : how can I run Yast if I even can't boot my openSUSE partition ?

I repeat, I can just boot from a minimal live usb or windows (hard disk).

Live USB has yast but you need to choose the drive to modify as I outlined above since it booted from the USB and you don't want to modify that.

You can see what drives are what from the command line

fdisk -l

Live USB has yast but you need to choose the drive to modify as I outlined above since it booted from the USB and you don't want to modify that.

You can see what drives are what from the command line

fdisk -l
    I run back my boot-repair disk live usb and lauch the repair software, I didn't run the auto-repair but the manual repair and I suceed to fix my SUSE grub like before
    So it's all good for me.
    Sorry to busy you with all of that and thanks for the help.

Ok Sorry some how I missed you were using the repair live, For some reason I thought it was the gnome live. In any case the tools are there to fix all sorts of things

There is no way to tell Yast to explicitly put grub on the extended.
    The YaST boot loader tool in both 13.1 and 13.2 KDE provides an option to boot from the extended partition. In 13.1, if there is no extended partition, the checkbox and text are greyed; if there is an extended partition, the checkbox is active. In 13.2, if there is no extended partition, the option does not appear; if there is an extended partition, the option shows as available.

My one machine with 13.2 had no extended partition until an hour ago. In that state, YaST showed no option to boot from extended partition. I shrank swap, then created an extended partition and logical drive in the freed space. After that YaST gave the option to boot from the extended partition.

I had one machine (Windows 7 and openSUSE 13.1 KDE 64-bit dual-boot) that had grub2 booting from the extended partition. I upgraded Windows from 7 to 10, and it did not change the grub behavior. On powering on, grub runs as always. It still shows Windows as 7, but selecting that correctly boots to Win10. OpenSUSE still boots fine as default. I did not have to do any grub fixing.

Regards,
    Howard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123