Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot stops at Reached Target Graphical Interface after uninstalling libjpeg8-32 bit

Hybrid View

Default Boot stops at Reached Target Graphical Interface after uninstalling libjpeg8-32 bit

Hello,

I am using OpenSuse 12.3 and since I tried to uninstall libjpeg8 - 32 bit nothing works. I tried to reboot but now the computer is only showing me a black screen with Reached target Graphical Interface .

If it can help, I uninstalled libjpeg8 - 32 bit via Yast

Any help would be very appreciated

Blog Entries

Default Re: Boot stops at Reached Target Graphical Interface after uninstalling libjpeg8-32 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Coddyx View Post
    If it can help, I uninstalled libjpeg8 - 32 bit via Yast
    Just to see what would happen, I tried uninstalling libjpeg8 in my 64-bit opensuse 13.2.

Yast gave several warnings. One of those warnings was that it would break Xorg. I aborted.

It looks as if you deleted an important library.

Given that support for 12.3 has ended, your best bet might be to decide that it is time to switch to 13.2.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: Boot stops at Reached Target Graphical Interface after uninstalling libjpeg8-32 bit

Sadly I need to stay at 12.3 because it is the version my company chose for the production server and my development machine needs to stay at the same version for compatibility reasons.

is there any way I could fix xorg from the command line? I can still access terminal from alt+f1 at boot

There is still an OSS repo for 12.3 at
    Code:
    ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/12.3/repo/oss/
    Try to iinstall from that from the CLI using yast and/or zypper.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    There is still an OSS repo for 12.3 at
    Code:
    ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/12.3/repo/oss/
    Try to iinstall from that from the CLI using yast and/or zypper.
    I am sorry I am somewhat new to Linux and OpenSuse in general.
    Could you please explain to me how to install this repo from yast? And will I lose some data if I proceed?

I am typing via and iPad next to my work computer and it is not very good to browse the web for guides on how to install from CLI...

Sorry for my english it is my second language

Will lose nothing if you install from yast but by ripping out that lib you also ripped out things that depend on the lib one at least being X. X being the base of all GUIs. At this point it is very uncertain exactly how much you actually removed. Since GUI's depend on X and you zapped X it is a very good change you also removed large chunks of any GUi you had. Also it all depends on if the old out of date repos for 12.3 are still at the same URLs. Which I'm not certain of. I'm sure they are around somewhere but personally I don't know where.

I have no idea what possessed you to remove the lib in the first place if you don't even know Linux..

Write on the blackboard 100 times "Linux is not Windows"

I went ahead and downloaded the repo hcvv suggested. If i do zypper up it says :
    Retrieving repository 'OpenSuse 12.3 Stable' metadata... Done
    Warning Repository openSuse 12.3 appears to be outdated
    Warning Repository openSuse 12.3-update-non-oss appears to be outdated
    reading installed packages...

Nothing to do

what should I do from now on?

not zypper up that is an update use zypper dup that is a distro update should bring all to tjhe same level as the repo.

You downloaded the repo?????That may be a bit large LOL. Just point the tools to the URL. You can set the url in yast or via zypper

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    not zypper up that is an update use zypper dup that is a distro update should bring all to tjhe same level as the repo.

You downloaded the repo?????That may be a bit large LOL. Just point the tools to the URL. You can set the url in yast or via zypper
    No I pointed towards it in Yast.
    I unchecked older repositories in the yast software directory managers and only checked the new one.
    Just starded zypper dup.

will keep you guys updated!
    thank you very much for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Coddyx View Post
    I am sorry I am somewhat new to Linux and OpenSuse in general.
    Then why oh why did you go and de-install some software?

No need to answer this question. Many people, inclusing yourself will allready have asked the same rethorical question.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast