Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows 10 update on dual boot system

Default windows 10 update on dual boot system

on one of my systems I dual boot with openSUSE 13.2 and Win 7.
    I rarely use win7 - perhaps booting into it once every three or four months.
    However, I try to keep it up to date and from today it has been prompting me to update to windows 10.

I'm kind of curious to see what it is like but concerned about how it will effect my being able to boot into openSUSE. I'm sure it will take over grub.

Anybody who has tried to upgrade and able to provide any hints / tips / suggestions and give any information on what I will need to do afterward to get my true dual boot system back in place (assuming win10 takes control of the boot system)?

Blog Entries

Default Re: windows 10 update on dual boot system

I dual boot Win 8.1 and opensuse on my main desktop, Win 7 and opensuse on my laptop.

I'm not particularly concerned with problems. However, I am holding off the Win10 upgrade until I hear more reaction from users.

Where is grub installed? (In the MBR or in a partition?)

For my Win7 system, grub is installed in a partition (actually "/boot"). My expectation is that if I upgrade, I will then have to change the active partition so that I can get back into opensuse.

If, however, you have grub installed in the MBR, then Windows can cause greater problems. If I were in that situation, I would probably do:

Code:
    # dd if=/dev/sda of=backup_MBR count=1
    to save the MBR content into a file. I would save to an easy to find location (perhaps even a USB).

Then, after the upgrade, I would boot linux live media and try:
    Code:
    # dd if=backup_MBR bs=440 of=/dev/sda count=1
    to restore the MBR content. I don't know if that would actually work. Grub uses the unassigned space between the MBR and the first partition. I don't think Windows overwrites that, but if it does then a grub reinstall would be needed.

There's another possible problem. Windows might add partitions and change the partition numbering. In that case, it is necessary to also edit "/etc/fstab" (or, maybe not if it is using UUID for mounting).

If your box uses UEFI, then the problems are different.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Assuming mbr boot and NOT EFI boot Windows tend to take over. In fact it may do so with a UEFI boot also by a total rewrite of /boot/efi

If you want to peek at it do so in a VM much safer

I didn't make any changes from the default during the recommendations during install so I believe grub is installed to the root partition (?) if I remember correctly.
    no efi here

ok if you did not install grub to the MBR Windows in theory should do no more then change the boot flag. I still say if you only want to look at it and kick the tires install to a VM.

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    on one of my systems I dual boot with openSUSE 13.2 and Win 7.
    I rarely use win7 - perhaps booting into it once every three or four months.
    However, I try to keep it up to date and from today it has been prompting me to update to windows 10.
    Glad you started this thread. I dual or even "duel" with 13.1 and Tumbleweed against Win7 but haven't seen the Win10 prompt yet, maybe waiting for me. Probably on the same model of ThinkPad if you still have yours?

T'weed controls grub in a separate /boot partition so expecting boot flag movement at least, so gparted on rescue media at the ready.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

I've done exactly what you are pondering. I have TW and Windows on the same SSD and use grub2 for dual-boot, installed to root. I just completed the Win10Pro upgrade to the Win7 partition and other than being a bit slow, worked like a charm and no ill-effects with grub2 and the dual-boot set up. I think the Win10 upgrade rebooted the system 5 or 6 times before completing, including my upgrade to the latest AMD video driver.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    Glad you started this thread. I dual or even "duel" with 13.1 and Tumbleweed against Win7 but haven't seen the Win10 prompt yet, maybe waiting for me. Probably on the same model of ThinkPad if you still have yours?
    yep - still same thinkpad
    Think I'm gonna hang back for a bit to see what others experience . . .
    But if all it takes is re-establishing grub2 as the bootloader with a rescue / live CD then that seems like no big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by noee View Post
    I've done exactly what you are pondering. I have TW and Windows on the same SSD and use grub2 for dual-boot, installed to root. I just completed the Win10Pro upgrade to the Win7 partition and other than being a bit slow, worked like a charm and no ill-effects with grub2 and the dual-boot set up. I think the Win10 upgrade rebooted the system 5 or 6 times before completing, including my upgrade to the latest AMD video driver.
    so it didn't touch grub2 at all and left it in place as the bootloader? Nothing outside of the windows partition (including mbr) was touched?

Fascinating! Anybody try the upgrade with an efi partition yet?

I for one suspect the worst. With Win 8.1, I had to reinstall GRUB2, IIRC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast