Thread: Need printer driver

Default Need printer driver

I'm using OpenSuse 13.1 and need a printer driver for a Dell 1130 laser printer. It's not in the install list. None of the Dell drivers work with the 1130.

Many thanks,

Jet Driver

Blog Entries

Default Re: Need printer driver

I have no experience with using this printer, but I did download the tarball from Dell (look for Ubuntu OS). Extract the tarball and then proceed with configuring

As root do
    Code:
    sh /path/to/install.sh
    Eventually you will have a GUI installer utility come up. I didn't pursue it any further as I don't have this hardware.

This thread may (or may not) be useful...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1573718

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atpmel View Post
    None of the Dell drivers work with the 1130.

Many thanks,

Jet Driver
    It might be helpful if you can clarify further here. Did you get as far as completing the install utility? Assuming you completed the CUPS printer configuration, did you then find problems when trying to print? Maybe we can help find where the issue is, and progress from there.

Thanks Deano,

I'm not familiar with tarballs, so I'm hesitant to approach. Nevertheless, as far as the install goes I get through the process after choosing the only close match to the Dell 1130 printer which is the 1110 driver. The printer does not like that driver at all. Any response from the printer is "please use the proper driver" with nothing else printed. Again, I'm running OpenSuse 13.1. Of course, the Dell 1130 works very well in a microsoft environment, but that defeats the plan. My clients love OpenSuse, so I do not want to degrade their confidence.

Thanks,

Jet Driver

Tareballs are just packaged files like a zip. In fact you can have a tar.zip file both tarred and zipped. tar preserves the permissions of the files unlike zip alone. Tars are not compressed in of them selves just packaged

Solved the problem with a Red Hat driver. OpenSuse 13.1 talks to the Dell 1130 very well now. Thanks for all your help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atpmel View Post
    Solved the problem with a Red Hat driver. OpenSuse 13.1 talks to the Dell 1130 very well now. Thanks for all your help.
    Well done. Of course for others who come searching, it is useful to know that this Dell printer is really a Samsung device underneath.

FWIW, From some of the threads I've read it may well have to do with the required locations of various files

http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/forum/...php?topic=32.0