Plasma 5. How do I switch keyboard layout?

Hi All,

I hope this is going to e quick one. I have OpenSuse 13.2 with Plasma 5 installed and enabled from OpenSuse repositories. What is bugging me, is that I can not figure out how to set up keyboard layout switch shortcut (or plugin).

I have UK and Lithuanian keyboards enabled, I have enabled Alt+Shift as primary short cut and Ctrl+Alt+K as alternative in my setting. Current selected keyboard layout is not indicated in the systray and i can not find a plasmoid for it either. If I hit Alt+Shift nothing happens. If I hit Ctrl+At+K a rounded grey square with icon of a globe and letters gb (representing UK layout) are displayed on screen, if I hit the combination again, it again shows gb and does not switch the layout.

I’ve tried some CLI option, I believe setxkbmap, and it does switch the keyboard, but is might inconvenient.

So, am I missing some library or just can’t find where to set this up.

Changing the keyboard shortcut is not possible at the moment, the setting is not applied on login because of a bug.
See https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/507545-Tumbleweed-Cannot-disable-ALT-move-windows-after-upgrading-to-KDE-4-14-8?p=2713598#post2713598 for a workaround.

I have UK and Lithuanian keyboards enabled, I have enabled Alt+Shift as primary short cut and Ctrl+Alt+K as alternative in my setting. Current selected keyboard layout is not indicated in the systray and i can not find a plasmoid for it either.

You have to enable the option “Show layout indicator” in the keyboard layout settings.
You can then also switch the layout by clicking on the layout indicator in the system tray.

And note that you have to use systemsettings5 to configure this. Plasma5 doesn’t respect KDE4’s settings.

Thnak you, systemsettings5 is what I needed. Keyboard layout swithing works fine now. Launcher applet by default starts /usr/bin/systemsettings.

For future reference, is there any point in keeping/using

/usr/bin/systemsettings

, provided I will srtick with Plasma5? Will all of the settings set through

/usr/bin/systemsettings

be ignored by Plasma5 or are there some things tht still can only be set throug

/usr/bin/systemsettings

?

Good.

Launcher applet by default starts /usr/bin/systemsettings.

There should be an entry for both.
And in the favorites, you should only have systemsettings5.

But, if your KDE4 favorites got migrated (I think Kickoff does that since 5.3), they probably will contain KDE4’s systemsettings…

For future reference, is there any point in keeping/using

/usr/bin/systemsettings

, provided I will srtick with Plasma5? Will all of the settings set through

/usr/bin/systemsettings

be ignored by Plasma5 or are there some things tht still can only be set throug

/usr/bin/systemsettings

?

Well, there’s no yes or no to that question.

Plasma5 does ignore KDE4’s settings, yes. At most, the will be migrated on first start (but most desktop specific settings are not).
But there are still (a lot) of KDE4 applications around, not all have been ported to KF5 yet.
That’s no problem for most settings like style/colorscheme and so on, as systemsettings5 applies most settings to KDE4 as well.
And the file associations e.g. are desktop agnostic anyway.

But there are certain things that are only available in KDE4’s settings.
E.g. if you use KDM as login manager, only KDE4’s systemsettings has a config module for it. Or the notification settings for KDE4 applications are only available in KDE4’s systemsettings.
And not everything might be set for KDE4 too, I’m not sure about the spell checking options e.g. (that would count as bug, but well)

OTOH, it would also be possible to configure KDE4 applications to look different than KF5 ones by using KDE4’s systemsettings…

All in all you probably don’t really need it as such though.

Thank you wolfi323,

this was helpfull. I’ll play around with the setting and will see what sticks, now that I know there are two versions of them :wink:

FYI, the bug has been fixed meanwhile, so changing the shortcut should work in 5.4.
http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=plasma-desktop.git&a=commit&h=fcdd29ac411a6806200c51887d64620f15dee998