Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to have 'quicklists' for desktop shortcuts in KDE?

Default Is it possible to have 'quicklists' for desktop shortcuts in KDE?

I mean quicklists as they are implemented in the Unity Taskbar and under Windows as jumplists. I know "Icon-Only Task Manager" widget implements the Unity API as per Desktop file standards.
    Is it implemented in KDE? If not, will it be present in Plasma 5? How can I achieve similar functionality?

Thanks a lot.

Default Re: Is it possible to have 'quicklists' for desktop shortcuts in KDE?

I'm not 100% clear what you mean as I don't use Unity. However if you mean how can I add icons to the task bar then that is easy in KDE. Simply go to the start icon find the application you want and right click with the mouse and select add to panel.

I hope this helps.

BTW you can add multiple panels if you want maybe at the top or sides then add all the icons you can stand

Another widget that you may find useful is Quicklaunch. I used it on KDE 4.
    If you are trying Plasma 5 I tried as gogalthorp did but later i just put a bunch of desktop icons really close together.
    I don't if that's what you're after as the largest portion of us here are into KDE. YMMV
    I'm just a curious cat
    My 64 bit: RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    MOTHERBOARD B450M D53H GGABYTE
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Default Re: Is it possible to have 'quicklists' for desktop shortcuts in KDE? [Expanded]

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinclaw View Post
    I'm not 100% clear what you mean as I don't use Unity. However if you mean how can I add icons to the task bar then that is easy in KDE. Simply go to the start icon find the application you want and right click with the mouse and select add to panel.

I hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    BTW you can add multiple panels if you want maybe at the top or sides then add all the icons you can stand
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagemta View Post
    Another widget that you may find useful is Quicklaunch. I used it on KDE 4.
    If you are trying Plasma 5 I tried as gogalthorp did but later i just put a bunch of desktop icons really close together.
    I don't if that's what you're after as the largest portion of us here are into KDE. YMMV
    While I really appreciate you took the time to post here, it is clear that you didn't even bothered to do a google search for 'unity quicklists' given you are all missing the point.
    If it is in the title and you don't know what that is...then why bother? really.
    And if the case was that I wasn't clear enough then say it, but to post irrelevant answers just messes the post in general.

Examples of:

-Unity quicklists

-Windows jump lists:

OK KDE is NOT Unity things are not exactly the same. So you do not get exactly the same stuff. I use the old style menu. Don't like the new menu it takes too many clicks. You can change it by unlocking the widgets and right click the gecko and select the old style. Also it is in the widgets list. This has a last used list at the top. Maybe that is close enough???

Note that we are all volunteers here why should we take our time to look thing up for you. Just tell use what you want don't assume anyone here has ever run Ubuntu. To be honest I still not sure what you want here having never used Unity. If you want unity go back to Ubuntu. KDE does not work like Unity so it does not have a one to one correspondence to the unity features.

OK KDE is NOT Unity things are not exactly the same. So you do not get exactly the same stuff. I use the old style menu. Don't like the new menu it takes too many clicks. You can change it by unlocking the widgets and right click the gecko and select the old style. Also it is in the widgets list. This has a last used list at the top. Maybe that is close enough???

Note that we are all volunteers here why should we take our time to look thing up for you. Just tell use what you want don't assume anyone here has ever run Ubuntu. To be honest I still not sure what you want here having never used Unity. If you want unity go back to Ubuntu. KDE does not work like Unity so it does not have a one to one correspondence to the unity features.
    Clearly still you have no idea what it is that I am talking about, nevertheless you keep posting... If you are a volunteer (like me) I am not asking you to look up ANYTHING, I just expect you to have some common sense and that if you are ignorant about the topic of the post, then just don't post a reply. That is not to much to ask to a volunteer I think.

PS: I will just ignore the
    OK KDE is NOT Unity things are not exactly the same. So you do not get exactly the same stuff.
    which is one: obvious, but moreover, irrelevant to my post.

PS2: "quicklists" (that thing you haven't looked up just yet) is not an Ubuntu exclusive feature (or Windows, because I just showed you that Windows also implements them- or sort of). Quicklists are also part of the .desktop file specification http://standards.freedesktop.org/des...y-spec/latest/ to which KDE adheres.

I have not seen the point of it yet because I still don't know what they do but maybe this is what you want??

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/unity...con-tasks.html

Default Re: Is it possible to have 'quicklists' for desktop shortcuts in KDE? [Expanded]

Quote Originally Posted by harogaston View Post
    And if the case was that I wasn't clear enough then say it, but to post irrelevant answers just messes the post in general.
    I did... I find your attitude quite rude so as far as I'm concerned, I will not help you further.

Quote Originally Posted by harogaston View Post
    I mean quicklists as they are implemented in the Unity Taskbar and under Windows as jumplists.
    Do you mean "context menus" that usually appear when you right-click something in KDE, for example?
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast