lilypond-editor frescobaldi does not run in openSuSE 13.2

Hello,
I need the most recent release 2.18.1 of the lilypond notation editor frescobaldi. I have added the repository /repositories/multimedia:/apps/openSUSE_13.2 and installed frescobaldi including its dependencies from there, including some python packages and lilypond.

All dependencies seem to be correct (according to Yast), but frescobaldi does not start. Instead, when I start it from a command line with the command “frescobaldi”, I get the following message:

File"/usr/local/bin/frescobaldi", line 7,in<module>
import main
File"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/frescobaldi_app/main.py", line 26,in<module>
import sip
Import Error:No module named sip

It does not run from the KDE desktop either. It seems that there is an issue with python-sip or some other python package. Has anyone a solution for this? Thanks!

Best regards

Eriol

Fresco expects you to use Python3, not 2.x.

Install python3, python3-sip and change python to python3 with update-alternatives --config python

Wow - thanks! Indeed, I had not installed python3-sip and some other packages. I wonder why the dependencies were still ok. But now it works fine as it should!

Again - thank you very much for your hints!

Eriol

Packaging error by whoever maintains the package, these things happen.

Just a note, not directly related to your problem:

You say you installed it from the multimedia:apps repo, but the openSUSE package installs the files to /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib/python3.4/.
So you seem to have a manual installation of frescobaldi too (in /usr/local/) which you are actually using.

To avoid confusion, I would rather remove one of them.