YaST connection assistant does not show a working printer on USB port.

I would like to activate another printer. A command like “lsusb -v -s 2” shows me appropriate information.
Why is the corresponding model list in the YaST connection assistant display still empty?

Why don’t you show us what

lsusb -v -s 2

shows?

We are not clairvoyant.

I find that information around the tried product is not really important at the moment.
Or do you assume that there are specific USB communication issues?

1. You have a problem, you decided you need help from your fellow openSUSE users;
  2. you say you gathered some information, but you keep it secret for your potential helpers;
  3. the fact that you need help despite you already have tried several things may point to the fact that you are looking in the wrong direction, that is very human, we all do this from time to time;
  4. asking for help includes hoping that other people take a new fresh look at you problem, not hindered by any possible bias;
  5. other people can only have a fresh look at a problem when they are provide with the bare information, not with the conclusions the OP may or may not have jumped to.

When you think one of the points above is invalid, your attitude is correct.

Well, I hope then that the following details will increase the probability for fixing the situation.

elfring@Sonne:~> lsusb --verbose -s 2   

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0482:063e Kyocera Corp.  
Device Descriptor: 
  bLength                18 
  bDescriptorType         1 
  bcdUSB               2.00 
  bDeviceClass            0  
  bDeviceSubClass         0  
  bDeviceProtocol         0  
  bMaxPacketSize0        64 
  idVendor           0x0482 Kyocera Corp. 
  idProduct          0x063e  
  bcdDevice            0.00 
  iManufacturer           1 Kyocera 
  iProduct                2 Kyocera ECOSYS P6021cdn 
  iSerial                 3 LW44818568 
  bNumConfigurations      1 
  Configuration Descriptor: 
    bLength                 9 
    bDescriptorType         2 
    wTotalLength           32 
    bNumInterfaces          1 
    bConfigurationValue     1 
    iConfiguration          0  
    bmAttributes         0xc0 
      Self Powered 
    MaxPower              100mA 
    Interface Descriptor: 
      bLength                 9 
      bDescriptorType         4 
      bInterfaceNumber        0 
      bAlternateSetting       0 
      bNumEndpoints           2 
      bInterfaceClass         7 Printer 
      bInterfaceSubClass      1 Printer 
      bInterfaceProtocol      2 Bidirectional 
      iInterface              0  
      Endpoint Descriptor: 
        bLength                 7 
        bDescriptorType         5 
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT 
        bmAttributes            2 
          Transfer Type            Bulk 
          Synch Type               None 
          Usage Type               Data 
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes 
        bInterval               0 
      Endpoint Descriptor: 
        bLength                 7 
        bDescriptorType         5 
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN 
        bmAttributes            2 
          Transfer Type            Bulk 
          Synch Type               None 
          Usage Type               Data 
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes 
        bInterval               0 
Device Qualifier (for other device speed): 
  bLength                10 
  bDescriptorType         6 
  bcdUSB               2.00 
  bDeviceClass            0  
  bDeviceSubClass         0  
  bDeviceProtocol         0  
  bMaxPacketSize0        64 
  bNumConfigurations      1 
can't get debug descriptor: Resource temporarily unavailable 
Device Status:     0x0001 
  Self Powered

not with the conclusions the OP may or may not have jumped to.

Do you eventually know which source files are responsible for the desired display of the model list by the YaST connection assistant?

You have choices other than YaST to get your printer configured. I prefer using the CUPS web interface (accessed via a browser)

http://localhost:631/admin

Do you eventually know which source files are responsible for the desired display of the model list by the YaST connection assistant?

I don’t generally use YaST to configure printers (manually or automatically), but as a basic overview - for locally attached printers, YaST executes the usb backend (/usr/lib/cups/backend/usb) which usually returns a printer ‘signature’ string from the connected printer that can be matched against potential printer drivers in the /usr/share/cups/model/ tree.

BTW, I note that the Kyocera model reported in your lsusb output is a ‘Kyocera ECOSYS P6021cdn’ model. Kyocera have a Linux driver here

http://www.kyoceradocumentsolutions.co.uk/index/products/download_centre.false.driver.ECOSYSP6021CDN._.EN.html

Once that is installed, you can proceed to configuring…

This GUI provides me with the challenge to select appropriate settings for “Serial Port #1 (Unknown)”.

The corresponding PPD file is also available in the version 8.1308 on my system as expected.

Do the connection settings need any more fine-tuning when printing of a short test text works by direct USB device access as expected?

Strange…if your printer is connected via USB, I would expect to see a USB option offered by the CUPS config utility. With the printer attached, try running the usb backend manually, and note what is reported (if anything)

/usr/lib/cups/backend/usb

The corresponding PPD file is also available in the version 8.1308 on my system as expected.

Your link is just to a wiki page - of no value to helping you here unfortunately. :slight_smile:

I’d rather have seen a link to the actual PPD.Anyway, I’ve downloaded the archive file for my self. The printer appears to be a postscript-capable device from examination of the PPD - so no actual CUPS driver (filter) required as such.

That’s a good sign for illustrating connectivity by communicating to a raw lp* device, but won’t help progress getting the printer properly configured for use via CUPS as such. As explained in my last post, run the CUPS usb backend manually and report back.

I would not complain if I will also see a corresponding entry for a better support indication.

With the printer attached, try running the usb backend manually,

elfring@Sonne:~> /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb 
DEBUG: Loading USB quirks from "/usr/share/cups/usb". 
DEBUG: Loaded 114 quirks. 
DEBUG: list_devices 
DEBUG: libusb_get_device_list=5 
DEBUG2: Printer found with device ID: ID:ECOSYS P6021cdn;MFG:Kyocera;CMD:PCLXL,PostScript Emulation,PCL5C,PJL;MDL:ECOSYS P6021cdn;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Kyocera ECOSYS P6021cdn;CI
D:KY_XPS_ColorA4FID; Device URI: usb://Kyocera/ECOSYS%20P6021cdn?serial=LW44818568 
direct usb://Kyocera/ECOSYS%20P6021cdn?serial=LW44818568 "Kyocera ECOSYS P6021cdn" "Kyocera ECOSYS P6021cdn" "ID:ECOSYS P6021cdn;MFG:Kyocera;CMD:PCLXL,PostScript Emulation,
PCL5C,PJL;MDL:ECOSYS P6021cdn;CLS:PRINTER;DES:Kyocera ECOSYS P6021cdn;CID:KY_XPS_ColorA4FID;" ""

Try configuring manually with the URI:

usb://Kyocera/ECOSYS%20P6021cdn?serial=LW44818568

I’m not sure if the serial number is required - it might suffice to use

usb://Kyocera/ECOSYS%20P6021cdn

I have tried this now.

It seems that a test print from the YaST interface does still not work at the moment.

…
Waiting for printer to become available.

Try power-cycling the printer while attached. Then try printing again.

lease post your /etc/cups/printers.conf config and also the output from

lpstat -t

BTW, you can increase the CUPS verbosity if necessary with

cupsctl--debug-logging

When you attempt a print job, check errors captured in /var/log/cups/error_log

**Sonne:~ #** cat /etc/cups/printers.conf  
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v2.0.3 
# Written by cupsd on 2015-07-02 10:22 
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING 
<DefaultPrinter Kiste> 
UUID urn:uuid:7162d8a3-c331-32dc-43ce-471ef303a72e 
Info Kyocera ECOSYS P6021cdn (KPDL) 
MakeModel Kyocera ECOSYS P6021cdn (KPDL) 
DeviceURI usb://Kyocera/ECOSYS%20P6021cdn?serial=LW44818568 
State Idle 
StateTime 1435825348 
Type 8425564 
Accepting Yes 
Shared Yes 
JobSheets none none 
QuotaPeriod 0 
PageLimit 0 
KLimit 0 
OpPolicy default 
ErrorPolicy stop-printer 
</DefaultPrinter>

elfring@Sonne:~> LANG=C lpstat -t 
scheduler is running 
system default destination: Kiste 
device for Kiste: usb://Kyocera/ECOSYS%20P6021cdn?serial=LW44818568 
Kiste accepting requests since Thu Jul  2 10:23:30 2015 
printer Kiste now printing Kiste-4.  enabled since Thu Jul  2 10:23:30 2015 
        Waiting for printer to become available. 
Kiste-4                 unknown          31744   Thu Jul  2 10:23:30 2015

When you attempt a print job, check errors captured in /var/log/cups/error_log

elfring@Sonne:~> cat /var/log/cups/error_log 
…
E [02/Jul/2015:07:19:21 +0200] Missing value on line 25 of /var/cache/cups/job.cache. 
W [02/Jul/2015:10:22:28 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:profile id 'Kiste-Gray..' already exists 
W [02/Jul/2015:10:22:28 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:profile id 'Kiste-CMYK..' already exists

I add specific details incrementally.

Johannes Meixner pointed me to another issue ‘Something lets CUPS backend “usb” sometimes no longer detect USB printers on openSUSE Tumbleweed’ for further consideration.

That bug report does seem to match your symptoms. As such, you’re probably best advised to take this discussion there where it has the best chance of being resolved.

The debug messages do look unusual, so I guess your hardware does not play nice with the usb backend as it is currently implemented.

elfring@Sonne:~> /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb
DEBUG: Loading USB quirks from "/usr/share/cups/usb".
DEBUG: Loaded 114 quirks.
DEBUG: list_devices
DEBUG: libusb_get_device_list=5

Good luck with resolving this.

It seems that I get surprising results from the use of the software “CUPS 2.0.3” here.
Would you also like to test how often USB interfaces are not in the list which can be provided by a script like “/usr/lib/YaST2/bin/autodetect_printers”?

Are there any more configuration challenges to consider around GUIs like “Connection Wizards”?

I’m not using TW, I’m staying with the tried and tested openSUSE 13.1 for now. :slight_smile: