Restart and Install button

Hello,
I’ve installed opensuse 13.2 gnome edition a few weeks back, and all the updates seem to require a reboot.
http://i.imgur.com/XNzRN45.png
Once I press that blue button the computer reboots, shows a tty with update progress bars, and reboots again.
On previous versions only a few updates required me to reboot my machine, namely kernel updates.
The whole process doesn’t take very long, but sometimes I really don’t want to reboot.
Is this some new update process, have all these recent updates include kernel updates, or is there a way to change this?

On 2015-06-27 15:36, evilnoxx wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I’ve installed opensuse 13.2 gnome edition a few weeks back, and all the
> updates seem to require a reboot.
> [image: http://i.imgur.com/XNzRN45.png]

I always use YaST to do updates. Not that thing.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

Or just do zypper up as root

I think that’s a Gnome thing. I’m not seeing that with KDE. The updater sometimes advises me to logout and login, and sometimes it advises me to reboot. But often it does neither. The Gnome people have redesigned their update applet to do updates during shutdown, or something like that.

My current preference in KDE is to disable the update applet, and use Yast Online Update. If there are any updates, I follow that with “zypper dup” from a root terminal to pickup Packman updates.

That’s the behavior I was used to back in 13.1 KDE
I’ll try using Yast Online Update and see how it goes

Oops! That should be “zypper up”, not “zypper dup”, though it shouldn’t be a disaster if you use “dup” if you only have the standard repos plus packman.

Using openSUSE GNOME now up to 13.2 find still prefer using zypper up for updates, then zypper ps to check if need log out then back in or restart.

On 07/04/2015 10:36 PM, paulparker wrote:
>
> Using openSUSE GNOME now up to 13.2 find still prefer using zypper
> up
for updates, then zypper ps to check if need log out then back in
> or restart.
>
>

If after running zypper ps there are processes owned by root then
reboot, If not then just log out/in.

Ken