Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: caller id program

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default caller id program

    Does anyone know anything about this program.

    I can't figure what it wants to install it.

    https://code.google.com/p/linux-call...=LinuxCallerId
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: caller id program

    On 2015-06-25 04:56, mike7757 wrote:
    >
    > Does anyone know anything about this program.
    >
    > I can't figure what it wants to install it.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ngd7ote


    I don't understand. You are trying to insall linuxcallerid, or something
    wants to install linuxcallerid?


    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,748

    Default Re: caller id program

    Yes, explain what problem you are having. Did you install the two needed libraries mentioned?? Also note that if compiling it you will need the devel version of the libs

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: caller id program

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Yes, explain what problem you are having. Did you install the two needed libraries mentioned?? Also note that if compiling it you will need the devel version of the libs
    NO problems as of this moment. But I have not installed it yet. At present time I am running a secondary machine to handle my phone calls. I get pestered by solicitors almost daily. I was looking to eliminate the use of my second machine by having my Linux machine filter all of my incoming calls.

    I have little knowledge when it comes to installing programs like that. If I had my choice, I would use yast to install the program, but I don't seem to have that option available to me.

    If this program is a bigger headache than it's worth, then I would rather skip the installation.
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,748

    Default Re: caller id program

    You do have to run the telephone line through a modem for it to block calls i'd think.

    Don't see any reason it would not work these thing usually come with a readme file. Use it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,070

    Default Re: caller id program

    On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 03:46:02 +0000, mike7757 wrote:

    > gogalthorp;2716896 Wrote:
    >> Yes, explain what problem you are having. Did you install the two
    >> needed libraries mentioned?? Also note that if compiling it you will
    >> need the devel version of the libsNO problems as of this moment. But I
    >> have not installed it yet. At

    > present time I am running a secondary machine to handle my phone calls.
    > I get pestered by solicitors almost daily. I was looking to eliminate
    > the use of my second machine by having my Linux machine filter all of my
    > incoming calls.
    >
    > I have little knowledge when it comes to installing programs like that.
    > If I had my choice, I would use yast to install the program, but I don't
    > seem to have that option available to me.
    >
    > If this program is a bigger headache than it's worth, then I would
    > rather skip the installation.


    I find that using Google Voice is the most effective for this. I
    considered doing something like what you're doing once upon a time, but
    to really implement it properly, you'd have to set up a local PBX
    (something asterisk) in order to intercept the call and only let it ring
    through if it's on a whitelist.

    Or you can do what I do now - just don't answer the phone unless you're
    expecting a call. It took a *lot* of practice to ignore the phone when
    it rang if I was working on something or doing things with my family -
    and for that matter, to get friends and family who would call me to
    understand that if I didn't answer, it wasn't personal, it was that I was
    doing something else, and that I'd call them back when I was done if they
    left a message.

    Now the phone rings and it goes to voicemail. If the number is one I
    recognize (or my phone recognizes and tells me who it is - I only have a
    mobile these days) and I'm not busy, I'll answer it. If it goes to voice
    mail (provided, again, by Google Voice) and it turns out to be someone I
    don't know, is a known scammer or solicitor, I block the number in Google
    Voice, and they get the three-tone message that the number is no longer
    in service, and I don't get bothered by them any more.

    I have an entry in my phone book that I add them to as well, just in case
    - "Scammer Scum". That way if it does turn up on the phone (like if they
    call my unpublished number directly rather than the GV number), I know I
    can ignore it.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: caller id program

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 03:46:02 +0000, mike7757 wrote:

    > gogalthorp;2716896 Wrote:
    >> Yes, explain what problem you are having. Did you install the two
    >> needed libraries mentioned?? Also note that if compiling it you will
    >> need the devel version of the libsNO problems as of this moment. But I
    >> have not installed it yet. At

    > present time I am running a secondary machine to handle my phone calls.
    > I get pestered by solicitors almost daily. I was looking to eliminate
    > the use of my second machine by having my Linux machine filter all of my
    > incoming calls.
    >
    > I have little knowledge when it comes to installing programs like that.
    > If I had my choice, I would use yast to install the program, but I don't
    > seem to have that option available to me.
    >
    > If this program is a bigger headache than it's worth, then I would
    > rather skip the installation.


    I find that using Google Voice is the most effective for this. I
    considered doing something like what you're doing once upon a time, but
    to really implement it properly, you'd have to set up a local PBX
    (something asterisk) in order to intercept the call and only let it ring
    through if it's on a whitelist.

    Or you can do what I do now - just don't answer the phone unless you're
    expecting a call. It took a *lot* of practice to ignore the phone when
    it rang if I was working on something or doing things with my family -
    and for that matter, to get friends and family who would call me to
    understand that if I didn't answer, it wasn't personal, it was that I was
    doing something else, and that I'd call them back when I was done if they
    left a message.

    Now the phone rings and it goes to voicemail. If the number is one I
    recognize (or my phone recognizes and tells me who it is - I only have a
    mobile these days) and I'm not busy, I'll answer it. If it goes to voice
    mail (provided, again, by Google Voice) and it turns out to be someone I
    don't know, is a known scammer or solicitor, I block the number in Google
    Voice, and they get the three-tone message that the number is no longer
    in service, and I don't get bothered by them any more.

    I have an entry in my phone book that I add them to as well, just in case
    - "Scammer Scum". That way if it does turn up on the phone (like if they
    call my unpublished number directly rather than the GV number), I know I
    can ignore it.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
    My second machine is just an old XP machine that never goes online. The only 2 programs that I wanted to install was Phonetray and Eraser. Phonetray has all those phone tones plus a few other sounds if you want to aggravate the individual.

    I have tried Phonetray under Wine but it don't work. Plenty of far smarter people than myself have tried Phonetray and wine and they were not successful either.

    Oh Well I was hoping.


    Thanks.......
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: caller id program

    On 2015-06-26 08:26, mike7757 wrote:
    >
    > hendersj;2716944 Wrote:


    >> Or you can do what I do now - just don't answer the phone unless you're
    >> expecting a call. It took a *lot* of practice to ignore the phone when
    >> it rang if I was working on something or doing things with my family -
    >> and for that matter, to get friends and family who would call me to
    >> understand that if I didn't answer, it wasn't personal, it was that I was
    >> doing something else, and that I'd call them back when I was done if they
    >> left a message.
    >>
    >> Now the phone rings and it goes to voicemail.


    Unfortunately, for me, I get those pestering calls when I'm sleeping (be
    it my abnormal hours, or siesta time), none of the calls (be it wanted
    or not) leave a message, and worse, I can get calls from random numbers
    with alarms. The later has no solution that I can imagine, except a
    voice robot asking questions for identification.

    So what many people want, IMO, is the phone not ringing at all unless
    the call is wanted.



    >> mail (provided, again, by Google Voice) and it turns out to be someone I
    >> don't know, is a known scammer or solicitor, I block the number in Google
    >> Voice, and they get the three-tone message that the number is no longer
    >> in service, and I don't get bothered by them any more.


    That's a nice one. I wish my land line had that.


    >> I have an entry in my phone book that I add them to as well, just in case
    >> - "Scammer Scum".


    Me too. But it rings and awakens me.


    > My second machine is just an old XP machine that never goes online. The
    > only 2 programs that I wanted to install was Phonetray and Eraser.
    > Phonetray has all those phone tones plus a few other sounds if you want
    > to aggravate the individual.


    If it works, use it :-)

    >
    > I have tried Phonetray under Wine but it don't work. Plenty of far
    > smarter people than myself have tried Phonetray and wine and they were
    > not successful either.


    Well, you could install XP inside a virtual machine, in the Linux
    machine. That might work. I'm unsure if virtualization can route the
    serial port to the guest, but certainly it redirects USB.


    > Oh Well I was hoping.


    Well, your inmediate goal is now clear: you want to install
    "linuxcallerid". None provides it at openSUSE, so you would have to
    build it yourself. The starting point is this one:

    https://code.google.com/p/linux-call...ource/checkout

    I just downloaded the sources, but I don't see a configure or Makefile,
    so I'm stuck. I see a .pro file, that appears to be intended for
    QtCreator, but I have never used it.

    But some others here may take it further ;-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: caller id program

    Someone in the openSuse world should grab that caller id idea and run back to their desk and make it work for the openSuse community. Put it in the repo's for all to enjoy.
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,070

    Default Re: caller id program

    On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 06:26:02 +0000, mike7757 wrote:

    >> My second machine is just
    >> an old XP machine that never goes online. The

    > only 2 programs that I wanted to install was Phonetray and Eraser.
    > Phonetray has all those phone tones plus a few other sounds if you want
    > to aggravate the individual.


    There are times that I think something like that could be handy as
    well.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •