Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unwanted Chrome systray icon

Default Re: Unwanted Chrome systray icon

Quote Originally Posted by JJMT View Post
    Just thought I would chime in here, because for me chrome definitely appears in the system tray list. The kicker is that setting them to "hidden" does not hide them. Instead, it seems to move them out of the system tray. Weird. I'm on on kde 4.14, opensuse 13.2.
    Hm, Chrome/Chromium's XEmbed system tray icon handling seems to be completely broken anyway:
    http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=419673#c32

Apparently installing libappindicator (not sure whether 1 or 3) might help, as Chrome should use that then for its system tray icons.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 23-Jun-2015 at 07:28.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    That does not remove the tray just the icon which you place mouse over

A tab pops with a wrench and a X press the X to remove the icon.

If you do this over a bare part of the panel you can remove it but if you are over an icon the icon/short cut is removed
    No. You cannot remove system tray icons that way. You can only remove the complete system tray.

You can do this with the application launchers on the left side of the screenshot, but not with the system tray icon on the right side (next to the HP icon).

If in the system tray then again unlock widgets press almond right click tray select system tray settings fix things there.
    Yes, I've suggested this already, but apparently there is no Chrome entry there.

Note that programs that put them selves in the tray will do so any time they startup. You must adjust things in the program's settings if any ae available.
    Yes.

The pic look like it is just a short cut on the panel not in the system tray??
    There is a Chrome icon in the system tray too (next to the HP icon), and the OP wants to remove that, as explained in the first post.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 23-Jun-2015 at 07:35.

That looks like on short cut on the panel to me not on the system tray

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    That looks like on short cut on the panel to me not on the system tray
    No. It would be bigger then. Compare the size to the ones on the left side of the panel...

Ok I guess there is on on the tray also did not notice that one. Well it is chrome what do you expect?? It is broken by design.

Blog Entries

I sometimes use "chromium" (not "chrome") to check my gmail. When I do, I see: "Click here to enable desktop notifications for gmail."

I expect that if I were to click there, it would put something in the tray.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post

The first reply in this thread seems to indicate that Chrome uses an old-style system tray icon (which are not supported in Plasma5 any more) though, I think those cannot be hidden as KDE's system tray does not have any control over such icons.

You could just use the menu editor, or right-click on the starter icon to modify its settings.
    If there's a start script it's probably in /usr/bin/ or /usr/local/bin/.
    Yes! I started K Menu Editor as you suggested, and guess what - there's a "Place in system tray" checkbox! So this is a KDE function. Uncheck and the icon disappears!

Many thanks

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fredsie View Post
    Yes! I started K Menu Editor as you suggested, and guess what - there's a "Place in system tray" checkbox! So this is a KDE function.
    Yeah, right. That option actually uses ksystraycmd to run the application to place it in the system tray.

But it seems that Chrome can display a system tray icon by itself too.

Try clicking on the Chrome icon in the systray and deselecting "Let Google Chrome run in the background." That might not be what you want, but that'll get rid of the icon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12