Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing font seemingly never finishes

Default Installing font seemingly never finishes

Hi,

I downloaded a zip file containing a font in OTF format. I opened the zip, clicked on the OTF and got a dialog that offered to install the font. I clicked on install and a progress bar reached 100% after a short while, but never "finished". Eventually I closed the dialog.
    The good part is, that the font apparently was installed successfully and I can now select it and use it.

Is this related to OpenSUSE or the Desktop I am using (Plasma 5.3)?

Default Re: Installing font seemingly never finishes

And what is the openSUSE version?
    Henk van Velden

openSUSE 13.2

Is it repeatable? ie install another font the same way and get the same result?? if so maybe a bugzilla post is in order. Plasma5 is still very much a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Is it repeatable? ie install another font the same way and get the same result?? if so maybe a bugzilla post is in order. Plasma5 is still very much a work in progress.
    AIUI, this is not related to the desktop at all. Plasma5 itself does not install any fonts.

How exactly do you open the zip file? Where did you click on the OTF file?
    How does the install dialog look like?

Also, if it is KDE's kfontview (which is actually part of the plasma5-desktop package), do you install it as "Personal Font" or as "System Font"? Might make a difference...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Jun-2015 at 05:25.

Well no put it may provide the prompts and show the progress

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Well no put it may provide the prompts and show the progress
    It doesn't, except the application that installs the font would explicitely ask it to (like a file copy progress notification e.g.).

And that's why it might help if the OP would show a screenshot of the progress dialog that he means.

PS: I just tried to install an OTF font with Plasma5's kfontview as personal font here and saw no problem whatsoever, and this also doesn't use any Plasma notifications.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Jun-2015 at 05:37.

On 2015-06-22 14:16, gogalthorp wrote:
    >
    > Is it repeatable? ie install another font the same way and get the same
    > result?? if so maybe a bugzilla post is in order. Plasma5 is still very
    > much a work in progress.

There is a report (bug) with expanding zip archives in tw, and I
    understand, would also affect plasma 5 in 13.2. There is a thread
    somewhere in the beta forum about this, IIRC.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

I remember choosing to install it as a system font. Unfortunately I don't have access to the machine at the moment, so I cannot make a screenshot.

I clicked on the zip in dolphin, which probably opened ark. From there I clicked on the OTF, but I don't know what the program is called that opens this font by default. I think it was trying to show a preview of the font, but I only saw empty lines.

Quote Originally Posted by B_old View Post
    I remember choosing to install it as a system font. Unfortunately I don't have access to the machine at the moment, so I cannot make a screenshot.
    Ok, if you got that question, you probably did use kfontview.
    Have you been asked for the root password?

Where did you install Plasma 5.3 from? 13.2 only has 5.2.2.
    If you used my repo, installing fonts as system fonts doesn't work at the moment, as it uses the KDE4 version of the KAuth helper by mistake (to gain root privileges) which just hangs.

I am fixing this right now. (Haven't noticed that problem before as it worked fine in the systemsettings5 module, and nobody reported a problem either)

But if that is your problem, it should actually hang at 50% and never install anything at all.

I clicked on the zip in dolphin, which probably opened ark. From there I clicked on the OTF, but I don't know what the program is called that opens this font by default. I think it was trying to show a preview of the font, but I only saw empty lines.
    You should maybe try to extract it first then, and that's meant in general. There might be a problem with the temporary files that get created when you open files inside an archive directly in Ark (e.g. they might get deleted too soon, or necessary files might be missing).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast