Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What better way to backup packages ؟

Default Re: What better way to backup packages ؟

I wonder if the cache rules for zypper has changed? I just looked and not all of the apps I've installed are cached there. You can enable the cache for all repos by running
    Code:
    sudo zypper mr -k -all
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Quote Originally Posted by maxray View Post
    Or another question: how to download packages with zypper ?

example : i need download this
    Code:
      gimp-plugin-aa libSDL_image-1_2-0 libaa1 libass5 libavc1394-0 libcaca0 libcddb2 libchromaprint0 
      libdirac_encoder0 libdvbpsi7 libdvdnav4 libebml4 libenca0 libfribidi0 libftgl2 libgme0 libmatroska6 
      libprojectM2 libshout3 libswscale2 libvlc5 libvlccore7 libzvbi0 vlc vlc-noX vlc-noX-lang vlc-qt
    folder save download > /root/Desktop/pakage/
    I'm not sure how to change default download directory. You could try
    Code:
    zypper install --download-only
    and pull them from /var/cache/zypp/packages depending on which repo they come from.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

What I don't understand is why you want to change the install location????? This is not Windows In general programs are thought of as a system resource so available to all users and thus installed at system locations not personal locations. Remember Linux is multi user even if you are the only one using it.

rpm's are built with the idea they go to a system location not a personal one. So you woulld need to override the rpm's default settings to install in your home location. I suggest you read about the rpm program for details.place to start is

man rpm

This shows all options and there are a bunch

Also man zypper

Also be aware that if you install to non-standard locations updates won't happen for that package. You have to do all things manually

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    What I don't understand is why you want to change the install location????? This is not Windows In general programs are thought of as a system resource so available to all users and thus installed at system locations not personal locations. Remember Linux is multi user even if you are the only one using it.

rpm's are built with the idea they go to a system location not a personal one. So you woulld need to override the rpm's default settings to install in your home location. I suggest you read about the rpm program for details.place to start is

man rpm

Also man zypper

Also be aware that if you install to non-standard locations updates won't happen for that package. You have to do all things manually
    Though I admit that I do not understand completely what the OP wants, and particulary not why, My idea is that he wants to save the RPM files somewhere on his system. Not that he wants to install things to different places.

As said, I have no idea why he wants this. The only reason I can imagine is that he wants to download once and then install on more systems he manages because of lack of bandwidth. Life would be easier if people told you what their goal is and not restricted their questions to the step they think is needed to reach that, unknown to others, goal
    Henk van Velden

I agree it is clear as mud on what he actual want to do. My answer is a pure guess

no -
    in Deban and Ubuntu i can install applications without the Internet using backup packages
    Yes you can with openSUSE. You effectively download the package rpm's and place them in a directory (e.g. /home/userid/somename/.

Then YaST > Software Repositories > Add (a new repository) > select Local directory > name the local repo and provide path to your rpm directory, and tick Plain RPM Directory box.

You then have your backup packages stored locally.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    You then have your backup packages stored locally.
    I didn't quite finish that sentence to add: and your local repo is available to YaST as a convenient and safe way to re-install them as required.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

thank ;
    im watch the rpm in time download packages
    zypper remove the packag after install the package
    The way to do it is simple:
    1. Find, download and save the actual 'package.rpm' of interest.
    2. Install it using zypper, and the package.rpm will be kept in your folder.

If you download the openSUSE DVD iso and then burn the DVD, all the DVD rpm packages versions will be there as backup. But later updates have to be downloaded or updated from repositories.

VLC
    Start Firefox and search for vlc
    http://software.opensuse.org/search
    Click on 'vlc' and 'show other versions'
    Behind openSUSE 13.1 click on the down-arrow to open
    On the official update version 2.1.5 line click '64 Bit'
    (or optionally open 'Show unstable packages' to try 2.2.1)
    On the pop-up widget 'Opens vlc-2.1.5-14.1.x86_64.rpm'
    select 'Save File' which will save vlc-2.1.5-14.1.x86_64.rpm to
    /home/'you'/Downloads or select another folder (dependent of your FF setup)

Now with root access in a terminal go to that folder and install the package with zypper
    Code:
    cd /home/'you'/Downloads
    zypper in vlc-2.1.5-14.1.x86_64.rpm
    The rpm file will be kept until you delete it yourself

Another example with a non-openSUSE rpm package,

WPS Office from Kingsoft community:
    With Firefox, open the url
    http://wps-community.org/download.html
    Here are listed both .deb and .rpm packages
    Left-click on the link 'wps-office-9.1.0.4961-1.a18p1.x86_64.rpm'
    On the pop-up widget select 'Save file' as above
    or Right-click on the link and select 'Save link as' and the wanted folder

Then install the WPS office rpm in a terminal using zypper as shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    What folders are in /var/cache/zypp/packages? They will contain the downloaded apps.
    no packages

I wonder if the cache rules for zypper has changed? I just looked and not all of the apps I've installed are cached there. You can enable the cache for all repos by running
    Code:
    sudo zypper mr -k -all
    I'm not sure how to change default download directory. You could try
    Code:
    zypper install --download-only
    and pull them from /var/cache/zypp/packages depending on which repo they come from.
    thankssssssssssss ! its fine
    ===================0-==- -==-0======================

-=-

oooooo

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post

man rpm

Also man zypper

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Though I admit that I do not understand completely what the OP wants, and particulary not why, My idea is that he wants to save the RPM files somewhere on his system. Not that he wants to install things to different places.

As said, I have no idea why he wants this. The only reason I can imagine is that he wants to download once and then install on more systems he manages because of lack of bandwidth. Life would be easier if people told you what their goal is and not restricted their questions to the step they think is needed to reach that, unknown to others, goal
    im need for install software ofline (in need save internet for dowenland tutors)
    ===================0-==- -==-0======================

-=-

oooooo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast