Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Looking for Mobile Phone with Linux syncing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Looking for Mobile Phone with Linux syncing

    Hi. I presently have a Blackberry 9900 Bold, but can't find any way to sync it to my KDEPIM.

    Does anyone have suggestions regarding a different phone i could sync to my KDEPIM program?

    Has anyone had a good experience?
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,383
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Looking for Mobile Phone with Linux syncing

    Support for Blackberry devices is weak, so you may well be flying on your own with this...

    Someone was asking about barry packages several years ago
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...barry-for-11-3
    I don't see anything available in OBS now though, so you may need to build yourself.

    Some notes on how a user got their Bold 9650 model syncing with KDEPIM
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...x-kde-pim.html

    YMMV.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Looking for Mobile Phone with Linux syncing

    Any Android phone will sync with KDE contacts and calendar via Akonadi's Resources Configuration for Google Contacts and Google Calendars And Tasks. I have used this for several years and it generally works very well. There is one small bug in Akonadi's Google Contacts sync where edits on the KDE side don't always sync back to the google server, however, everything else works great.

    FYI,

    Gordon
    Laptop #1: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | HP ZBook 17 G2 (17")
    Laptop #2: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | System76 Darter (14")

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,383
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Looking for Mobile Phone with Linux syncing

    @gldickens3: That's all very good, but the OP is not using a phone with Android. He's using a Blackberry device.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,746

    Default Re: Looking for Mobile Phone with Linux syncing

    But he asked also for what phones worked.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,383
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Looking for Mobile Phone with Linux syncing

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    But he asked also for what phones worked.
    Sorry, missed that. I would choose an Android-based phone over unsupported Blackberry any day.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Looking for Mobile Phone with Linux syncing

    I don't use KDE so no idea what KDEPIM does exactly, but I'd definitely recommend a phone running a GNU/Linux distribution over other phones. Unfortunely I believe currently the only ones available that come with it out of the box are the Jolla phone and the Ubuntu phones.

    If you can give some insight in what KDEPIM does or what you want the phone to do with it, I can tell you if it will work with a phone running Sailfish OS. (You'll have to ask someone else for information on the Ubuntu phones.)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: Looking for Mobile Phone with Linux syncing

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Support for Blackberry devices is weak, so you may well be flying on your own with this...

    Someone was asking about barry packages several years ago
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...barry-for-11-3
    I don't see anything available in OBS now though, so you may need to build yourself.

    Some notes on how a user got their Bold 9650 model syncing with KDEPIM
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...x-kde-pim.html

    YMMV.
    Thank You very much for this information. Do you (or anyone else) know where I can find a 64 bit version of Barry? I don't seem to be able to find one at Sourceforge

    Thanks, Bob
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: Looking for Mobile Phone with Linux syncing

    Quote Originally Posted by gldickens3 View Post
    Any Android phone will sync with KDE contacts and calendar via Akonadi's Resources Configuration for Google Contacts and Google Calendars And Tasks. I have used this for several years and it generally works very well. There is one small bug in Akonadi's Google Contacts sync where edits on the KDE side don't always sync back to the google server, however, everything else works great.

    FYI,

    Gordon
    But that would require me to use the KDE4 version of KDEPIM. I use the KDE3 version, that works much better than KDE4.

    I'll look at it though.
    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ladysmith, BC, Canada
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: Looking for Mobile Phone with Linux syncing

    Quote Originally Posted by robertsmits View Post
    Thank You very much for this information. Do you (or anyone else) know where I can find a 64 bit version of Barry? I don't seem to be able to find one at Sourceforge

    Thanks, Bob
    I found copies at RPM Search. Thanks.


    bob@rsmits.ca
    First Law of Laboratory Work: Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •