Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: fingerprint scanner

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default fingerprint scanner

    I am hoping that someone here can help. I have a APC fingerprint scanner that worked with winXP. I have installed several packages from repo's but neither of them has helped.

    Does anyone here use this device and how did you make it work.
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: fingerprint scanner

    try
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...er_with_fprint
    as that's a debian wiki replace apt-get with zypper and check the repo's for the appropriate packages
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/fprintd
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/fprintd-pam
    maybe the hardware forum is a better place for this question.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: fingerprint scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    try
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...er_with_fprint
    as that's a debian wiki replace apt-get with zypper and check the repo's for the appropriate packages
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/fprintd
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/fprintd-pam
    maybe the hardware forum is a better place for this question.
    This one click install says 13.2, would it make a difference if I am using 13.1
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,881

    Default Re: fingerprint scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by mike7757 View Post
    This one click install says 13.2, would it make a difference if I am using 13.1
    Better do not mix.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: fingerprint scanner

    This one click install says 13.2, would it make a difference if I am using 13.1
    There are 13.1 packages they're in the hardware repo, click show unstable packages to get the 1 click link
    those are stable packages they're just not in the main 13.1 repo.
    you could use zypper
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/hardware/openSUSE_13.1/hardware.repo
    sudo zypper in fprintd fprintd-pam

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: fingerprint scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    There are 13.1 packages they're in the hardware repo, click show unstable packages to get the 1 click link
    those are stable packages they're just not in the main 13.1 repo.
    you could use zypper
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/hardware/openSUSE_13.1/hardware.repo
    sudo zypper in fprintd fprintd-pam
    I have had these files for some time now. I have not been able to get any working results from them.
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: fingerprint scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by mike7757 View Post
    I have had these files for some time now. I have not been able to get any working results from them.
    did you follow the instructions from
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...er_with_fprint
    does opensuse recognize your scanner
    does your scanner appear when running lsusb?
    if it does then follow the article's example if not, do some more googling, maybe see the manufacturer's home page.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: fingerprint scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    did you follow the instructions from
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...er_with_fprint
    does opensuse recognize your scanner
    does your scanner appear when running lsusb?
    if it does then follow the article's example if not, do some more googling, maybe see the manufacturer's home page.
    Maybe I should have hunted in support direction, rather than driver direction.

    It is now apparent to me that my device is not supported yet according to web site.
    But the site was last updated in 2013.

    I hope someone is diligently working on the project. I don't want to throw my scanners away yet.
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    267

    Default Re: fingerprint scanner

    I have to assume that my scanners may never be usable. Are there other devices that can be used with opensuse13.1 or 13.2 at log in. And supported at this time.
    Mike

    AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: fingerprint scanner

    why not try a google search, all linux distributions share 99,9% of the Kernel someone using another distribution might have gotten it working.
    what does lsusb show, how does that peace of hardware connect, the above article was for usb based readers.
    As it is an old peace of hardware the probability of getting it up and running is pretty high...
    try asking this in the hardware section you might get a better responce.

    edit
    if your device is not recognized by fprintd
    file a bug report
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_b...duct=libfprint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •