kde3 with tumbleweed

I am using the latest version of tumbleweed (06062015) and am struggeling to install kde3 (alongside plasma5). kdebase3 conflicts with kinfocentre, plasma5 desktop & plasma5 session is the error message - is there a way round this?

Thanks

I think that if you succeed in installing KDE3, anything that conflicts with it will be uninstalled. I’d be curious to know whether KDE3 is in the Tumbleweed repositories and if not, which repo you are using to get it. I suppose you plan on using two different desktops and switch between the two. Otherwise, how could you use both KDE3 and Plasma 5.3? I think you need to explain why you want them both and how you plan to use them.

Yes, kinfocenter5 has an explicit “Conflict” with kdebase3. The spec file mentions the file /etc/xdg/menus/kde-information.menu as reason, but kinfocenter5 doesn’t have such a file…
So this looks like a mistake (or maybe there was a conflict but isn’t any more).
Maybe you should file a bug report about this.

As for a workaround, I suppose you can just ignore the conflict. I do remove that conflict in my packages though… :wink:

Well, there are ways to override conflicts…

I’d be curious to know whether KDE3 is in the Tumbleweed repositories and if not, which repo you are using to get it.

Yes, KDE3 is still included in the distribution, and even has a new maintainer since recently.
There is an additional KDE:KDE3 repo, but it’s not necessary for the desktop environment and included applications. It does also contain additional (3rd party) KDE3 applications though that are not part of the standard repos.

I suppose you plan on using two different desktops and switch between the two. Otherwise, how could you use both KDE3 and Plasma 5.3? I think you need to explain why you want them both and how you plan to use them.

Why does he need to explain that?

You can of course run KDE3 applications inside Plasma5, or you can select your desktop session at the login screen to login to KDE3. Just like any other desktop environment you have installed.
And yes, KDE3 and Plasma5 (or KDE4 for that matter) are co-installable in principle. KDE3 installs all files to /opt/kde3/ (for traditional reasons), so there are no conflicts.
And no, it is not easily possible to install KDE4 or Plasma5 to /opt/kde4/ or similar, and it is no option for the distribution packages.

Thanks for posting.

I like to install kde3 as a back-up in case I mess up plasma5 (or before that kde4). I will post a bug report.

Not necessary any more…

The conflict has been removed meanwhile:

Many thanks for the heads-up.