Thread: How can I make X windows use a particular head as the default monitor at boot

Default How can I make X windows use a particular head as the default monitor at boot

I have 2 heads in use on my gtx 780ti, which are laid out to be A/B with A (left) as the default. Every time the system boots, at the X login screen, they are laid out B/A and A is the default (right). When I login, plasma correctly resets them to be A/B with A (left) as the default.

This is annoying and today due to other X issues, I had to get the nvidia tool to dump the X settings to a xorg.conf file. When I rebooted the system the monitors were correctly aligned as A/B with A as the default at the X login screen (the joys of static config).

So now I have solved that problem and removed the xorg.conf file, I am back to this annoying X windows auto configure boot mode that twiddles the monitor layout.

How can I pass a boot time parameter to X so that it lays the monitors as I want them, not as it sees them?

Default Re: How can I make X windows use a particular head as the default monitor at boot

Just use the xorg.conf file or put the instruction in the appropriate file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory

Note that X is not started until well into the boot so grub and splash screens go to what the hardware thinks is device 0

Default Re: How can I make X windows use a particular head as the default monitor at boot

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Just use the xorg.conf file or put the instruction in the appropriate file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory

Note that X is not started until well into the boot so grub and splash screens go to what the hardware thinks is device 0
    Yeah, I was just wondering if there was a switch. I like to avoid coding config files if I can help it and this was just to placate my anal ocd, so I'll just buy a crossword puzzle book for the few seconds it takes to get to the login prompt and resist the urge to turn the other monitor on

Would be nice if the bios allowed me to tell the vga card which head to use but it is what it is.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

In my impatience, I probably would have just swapped the monitor wires...

TSU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    In my impatience, I probably would have just swapped the monitor wires...

TSU
    Hi
    Same here

@OP, is there a BIOS setting for the display card port/slot, does the motherboard have an internal card? Also I'm assuming your using the DVI outputs on the cards?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!