Thread: HELP! opensuse 13.2 kde 5 plasma corrupted triple head config so no desktop

Default HELP! opensuse 13.2 kde 5 plasma corrupted triple head config so no desktop

I have given up tying to sort this out myself after a couple of days coz my only option now is to nuke the kde installation which I do not want to do if possible.

I have a GTX 780ti which was working great in dual head mode. Then I made the mistake of turning on the 3rd head which was fine until I turned the 3rd head off.

Now I cannot login to kde5 without the 3rd head turned on. If I try to login with the 3rd head turned off then I just get a black something (presumably desktop) across both heads. I say a black something because the whole screen across both heads is just black with a cursor, although if I blindly type any command like say konsole and hit the <Return> key, then the cursor changes to a text input cursor somewhere when I move the mouse. So I can then reboot the system using sudo commands as expected in bash or I can simply type logout on the black something then hit return and I get logged out, as expected if the desktop was running.

So help, how the hell do I get my desktop working on dual head again and how do I stop triple head screwing the desktop. This happened when I deliberately turned on the 3rd head and I had to re-install kde to get it back so have avoided doing triple head ever since.

The xorg log has this error

Code:
    Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
    but I have looked though the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory but all the files are empty of any config, just full of comments, so I have no idea where the x config is actually being held now, been a long time since I had to mess about with X config.

EDIT: forgot to add, that the affected user can login to gnome and lxfce which are still fine, other user accounts that have never run on triple head can login fine on dual head, so it appears to be a local user setting that is corrupted but I have no idea where it would be.
    Last edited by Tuxxy_Thang; 03-Jun-2015 at 02:59. Reason: forgot to add vital information

Default Re: HELP! opensuse 13.2 kde 5 plasma corrupted triple head config so no desktop

Tuxxy Thang donned his tin foil hat and penned:

>
    > I have given up tying to sort this out myself after a couple of days coz
    > my only option now is to nuke the kde installation which I do not want
    > to do if possible.
    >
    > I have a GTX 780ti which was working great in dual head mode. Then I
    > made the mistake of turning on the 3rd head which was fine until I
    > turned the 3rd head off.
    >
    > Now I cannot login to kde5 without the 3rd head turned on. If I try to
    > login with the 3rd head turned off then I just get a black something
    > (presumably desktop) across both heads. I say a black something because
    > the whole screen across both heads is just black with a cursor, although
    > if I blindly type any command like say konsole and hit the <Return> key,
    > then the cursor changes to a text input cursor somewhere when I move the
    > mouse. So I can then reboot the system using sudo commands as expected
    > in bash or I can simply type logout on the black something then hit
    > return and I get logged out, as expected if the desktop was running.
    >
    > So help, how the hell do I get my desktop working on dual head again and
    > how do I stop triple head screwing the desktop. This happened when I
    > deliberately turned on the 3rd head and I had to re-install kde to get
    > it back so have avoided doing triple head ever since.
    >
    > The xorg log has this error
    >
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
    > --------------------
    >
    >
    > but I have looked though the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory but all the
    > files are empty of any config, just full of comments, so I have no idea
    > where the x config is actually being held now, been a long time since I
    > had to mess about with X config.
    >
    >

You would be better off posting this in the tumbleweed group not here they
    might have better knowledge.

HTH

--
    Mark
    Nullus in verba
    Caveat emptor
    Nil illigitimi carborundum

Default Re: HELP! opensuse 13.2 kde 5 plasma corrupted triple head config so no desktop

Quote Originally Posted by baskitcaise View Post
    You would be better off posting this in the tumbleweed group not here they
    might have better knowledge.

HTH

--
    Mark
    Nullus in verba
    Caveat emptor
    Nil illigitimi carborundum
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

ftr: should anyone find their way here. After cycling through a seemingly endless backup/delete something/restart/restore madness (methodology), I have managed to get back in to the desktop after deleting the file b6321a49603d0fc7ee4ccab3bf6802e7 from ~/.local/share/kscreen/

There were 2 files in there and it turns out that was the one to delete, it had a later timestamp and was confirmed by deleting it and rebooting. It is not ideal though as somehow that file has managed to remove my desktop settings like wallpaper, theme, etc. So I will continue to try to identify the original problem.

You do understand that Plasma 5 is still in development and many things may be broken anything that breaks should be reported on bugzilla so that it can be fixed for the rest of us

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You do understand that Plasma 5 is still in development and many things may be broken anything that breaks should be reported on bugzilla so that it can be fixed for the rest of us
    Yes I do actually, just as I also understand it is best to investigate the bug as best you can before reporting to provide as clear and concise a bug description as possible, which would be what I am doing now

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxxy_Thang View Post
    Yes I do actually, just as I also understand it is best to investigate the bug as best you can before reporting to provide as clear and concise a bug description as possible, which would be what I am doing now
    Actually sadly it looks like I will not be reporting this bug to opensuse.

I have not had to report a bug in years, so have not seen this apparently new bug interface. I have just spent 10 minutes going round in circles on that bugzilla site trying to find a place to enter a bug and keep coming up with some weird interface to create test runs and test cases but nothing about bugs. Even if I wanted to incur the wrath of some over zealous admin telling me I did it wrong, the product drop boxes end at 13.1. The help pages links bear no resemblance at all to the pages they are trying to help me with.

Honestly, that has to be the most irritating, confusing and therefore non functioning bug reporting system I have ever seen. Yet it keeps proudly announcing it is an upgrade

So for the record (I hear the flames already), there is a known intermittent bug with kscreen (reported and fixed at KDE) as version 5.2 which has already been released under opensuse 13.2 but it looks like there is still an intermittent bug affecting the fixed kscreen. Also, although I have one account permanently bugged on this, I have 2 other accounts on the same machine that cannot trigger the bug and another that can once or twice.

It seems the workaround/fix for screen corruption or non functionality is to remove a corrupt file from kscreen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tuxxy_Thang View Post
    It seems the workaround/fix for screen corruption or non functionality is to remove a corrupt file from kscreen.
    Maybe that is the answer - have you compared the kscreen config files between the accounts?

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Maybe that is the answer - have you compared the kscreen config files between the accounts?
    Yes, it took me a long time to isolate the problem. When I finally got there, I used 2 fresh accounts for testing that were created, then logged in to the desktop and immediately logged out. They both had an identical named file in kscreen with identical content.

The corrupted account, had 2 files in there and the additional file had an entry for the hdmi head. I still have not dived in to the kscreen source but it does appear that kscreen loads the later timestamp of the 2 files. Which in my case then caused kde to try to use a head that was powered down.

Having browsed the original report on kde, it all seems to revolve around the fact that kscreen which is supposed to handle the hot swapping of the heads, seems to miss some events and so does not update it's config. So the workaround until a fix comes would be to either edit the file and remove the head section or delete the file and use the original or just trash the directory and restart kde for a new default.

Personally I think the bug is better thought of as kscreen should not hang when it comes across a disabled or powered down head, fixing that bug would greatly reduce the severity of the other bug, leaving us with a situation where at worst we did not persist a last config update, rather than an unresponsive system. I hate unresponsive systems, they leave new or inexperienced users thinking the whole linux distro thingy is just not worth it. So as I do not have the aptitude to work out how to report the bug at opensuse , I'll report it upstream to kde, which is probably the better place for it anyway.