Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: YaST insisting I install

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mexico and Sweden
    Posts
    1,288

    Default YaST insisting I install

    openSUSE 13.2 64bit KDE 4.4.16

    When I try to install anything with YaST it insists on installing other software I have removed with zypper and don't want. Normally I would block the unwanted software using "zypper al" (add lock) and continue, but it's a long list and I can't mark/copy and paste it to zypper. Is there some way I can redirect the list to a text file I can edit and feed to "zypper al"?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,170

    Default Re: YaST insisting I install

    In YaST > Software > Software Management the Options menu. Check Ignore Recommended Package for Already Installed packages.

    There are several threads here with more details and background information.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3

    Default Re: YaST insisting I install

    Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    When I try to install anything with YaST it insists on installing other software I have removed with zypper and don't want. Normally I would block the unwanted software using "zypper al" (add lock) and continue, but it's a long list and I can't mark/copy and paste it to zypper. Is there some way I can redirect the list to a text file I can edit and feed to "zypper al"?
    You could use "zypper in --dry-run xxx" to just get the list of packages that are going to be installed.

    But your actual "problem" is that those packages are being recommended by other installed packages or patterns.

    To prevent them from being installed again, enable "Ignore Recommended Packages For Already Installed Packages" in YaST's "Options" menu (or specify the "--no-recommeds" switch to zypper), uninstall the patterns that recommend them, or prevent the installation of recommended packages completely (set "solver.onlyRequires = true" in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf).
    There are lot of threads about this topic already...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mexico and Sweden
    Posts
    1,288

    Default Re: YaST insisting I install

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    In YaST > Software > Software Management the Options menu. Check Ignore Recommended Package for Already Installed packages.

    There are several threads here with more details and background information.
    Thank you Henk. Another of your usual excellent solutions.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,170

    Default Re: YaST insisting I install

    Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    Thank you Henk. Another of your usual excellent solutions.
    I am only repeating what Wolfi323 said in earlier threads. Only this time I was faster (and it is realy not easy to beat him) .
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6

    Default Re: YaST insisting I install

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I am only repeating what Wolfi323 said in earlier threads. Only this time I was faster (and it is realy not easy to beat him) .
    Well, I got distracted while writing my reply, so it took me longer.
    When I hit the "Reply" button there was no other reply yet.

    But anyway, this is no competition.
    Doesn't matter who's faster, as long as users get help...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •