Firefox not working (no internet) after post-install patching

Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum and to linux in general.

So, I’ve just installed OpenSuse 13.2 and everything worked great. I used Firefox as the default browser and no issues, then using Yast I installed all the updates and everything that was required in the “online update” part.
Then after all that was patched and done, Firefox has no connection the internet now, and I haven’t changed any of the connection settings (set to no proxy needed right now). I installed Chromium instead and that works fine, as does everything else.

So my questions is, what happened with Firefox and how can I solve it?

Thanks!

Hello.

If this is a new install and you haven’t anything you don’t want to loose within Firefox (or any other mozilla app): bookmarks, sessions, mails (Thunderbird) etc.,
you could try delete the Mozilla folder in home, this one: /home/«name»/.mozilla
and have Firefox recreate it at launch.

If you have things you want to keep there, just make a copy of the mozilla directory somewhere, before deleting it (or rename the dir).

Hi, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately nothing happened, I deleted it and Mozilla recreated it but same thing as before happened.

OK, seems very strange to me, never come across this.
Hopefully, someone else might come across this thread who has something to add.

You could try to launch Firefox from command-line though, maybe that will reveal something:

firefox

Nothing extra happens; The program launches without problems, just to instantly (as in not even giving it the slightest of chances to connect) show “Server not found” on the start page (and of course every other url I try).

Actually, it does work when entering the IP address of the URL. So DNS problem obviously, but only in Firefox? How is that possible?

Yes, that does seem strange.

It might be an issue related to a 13.2 update package of Firefox.
I am on openSUSE 13.1 so I can’t really check that; but if this is the case there will probably be some more discussion about it soon.

BTW, what method do you use: ifup or NetworkManager?
And which desktop environment do you run?

On 2015-05-19 21:16, F Sauce wrote:
>
> BTW, what method do you use: ifup or NetworkManager?
> And which desktop environment do you run?

Also: home or corporate/institutional network?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

If it is 13.2 ifup is no longer there it uses wicked now, but the question is still valid.

You going through any company or school gateways??

try turning ipv6 off and just use ipv4

It’s at home, with nothing out of the ordinary jacked in. And as I mentioned before, it worked right out of the box after the installation … then I installed the updates and after that it stopped working. Everything else is working fine.

Hi, maybe check under the “file” tab that you aren’t in offline mode. HTH Lenwolf

Empty /tmp might help?

Did you try another browser ie is it just Firefox? or did you lose the net connection entirely?

On 2015-05-20 15:46, gogalthorp wrote:
>
> Did you try another browser ie is it just Firefox? or did you lose the
> net connection entirely?

In the first post he said that he installed chromium and that it works.
Only FF fails.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

Try a different user then.