Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Google ChromeCast do not works in OpenSuse13.2

  1. #1

    Exclamation Google ChromeCast do not works in OpenSuse13.2

    Hi everyone,


    I am having a trouble to use the "google chromecast app". I installed the google chrome, I added the chromecast plugin; but when I try connect, appear the following message: "No device GoogleCast was found".
    If I use the chromecast in the Windows SO, the app works fine.
    But, in OpenSuse 13.2 I get this error. What's happening?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Google ChromeCast do not works in OpenSuse13.2

    Quote Originally Posted by rregorr View Post
    I am having a trouble to use the "google chromecast app". I installed the google chrome, I added the chromecast plugin; but when I try connect, appear the following message: "No device GoogleCast was found".
    I have the same issue... bought the Chromecast yesterday... I put numerous different things into the firewall settings... but nothing works to find the chromecast.

    I can disable the firewall... then I see the chromecast.

    To be honest, I don't expect opensuse to spend time solving this , as this is really a google problem... but maybe someone will be nice enough to share settings that work!

    It looks like every person that asks regarding Linux settings on the google website just get's an auto-reply back about how they "will respond". I am still consistantly stunned by the lack of support from google for Linux.

    I need to update my profile on here... I assume it is probably still listed that I use SLED. In reality I am running Opensuse 13.2 and as can be expected... Chromium.

    Google (Android) devices work without any problems.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,748

    Default Re: Google ChromeCast do not works in OpenSuse13.2

    Well if it works on a disabled Firewall then it need a port opened. Which? ask Google

  4. #4

    Unhappy Re: Google ChromeCast do not works in OpenSuse13.2

    Ok... I skipped asking google and instead searched the net with google.

    As I don't have the time and ability to understand firewalls up until now (UDP, TCP, ports, etc.)

    Instead, I have used the following method:

    https://blog.g3rt.nl/allow-google-ch...-iptables.html

    This however, was not in enough "laymans" terms for me to be able to use it in the Yast Firewall settings.

    I can however confirm that at the moment, I am able to get the chromecast to work with the following:

    In the firewall user defined settings, I entered:

    External Zone:
    IP (chromecast IP), UPD, Destination Port 32768:61000, Source Port 32768:61000

    Internal Zone:
    IP (chromecast IP), TCP, Source Port 8008:8009
    IP 239.255.255.250, UDP, Destination Port ssdp(1900)

    If this is the correct zone, I don't have a clue!

    Feel free to correct my mistakes.


    I personally dislike firewalls... I know they serve a purpose and it is a good one, but I just don't have the time to read up on what each thing does. I always feel I am leaving my computer more exposed when I start to change the settings!


    Anyways, I hope this actually helps someone else too.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Google ChromeCast do not works in OpenSuse13.2

    I had the same issue and I discovered that OpenSuse was only showing my Ethernet interface in the list of firewall interfaces. As I connect via WiFi, this is wrong. The Internal zone has much more relaxed rules than the external zone, and I don't know where interfaces are put if they're not explicitly listed but I suspect they're put into the more secure space.

    To fix this I fired up a terminal and used "ip link" to get a list of interfaces. It listed three for me. I looked for the one that had 'state UP' in the attributes because that means it's connected. Then I looked for that interface's name - it said 3: wlo1: at the start of the line, so the interface name is wlo1

    Finally I went to the firewall, interface section, and added a custom interface just by adding wlo1 in the Internal zone. I hit the save and restart button, then restarted the whole machine for good measure.

    After restarting, the firewall is active and running as it should, and I can see Cast destinations fine.

    Day 2 of OpenSuse and my priorities are getting Cast working

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •