Thread: Can't transfer from Sony camera

Default Can't transfer from Sony camera

openSUSE 13.2 64bit KDE 4.14.6

In the past with earlier OS versions I could connect my Sony DSC W170 camera to a USB slot and transfer the photos with a file browser. Now after connecting the browser reports a directory called "USB PTP Class Camera", but when I click on it I get "Unknown error code 150 I/O problem". The camera card is not a standard SDHC card so I can't stick in a USB card reader.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Can't transfer from Sony camera

I don't see how it can be an "I/O problem" because the usb ports both work with other connections. And the transfer works normally under openSUSE 13.1 32bit KDE 4.11.5 running on another box.

Many cameras can switch between PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) and being mass-storage. Maybe you switched the camera from the on to the other.

As far as I know, a program like digiKam does know how to use PTP.
    Henk van Velden

Sorry, did miss your second post. When it can be used as mass-storage on 13.1, it will not be the switch in the camera.

I vaguely remember a similar (or even same) thread here. It could be that in 13.2 the priority is changed from using mass-storage to PTP if both are supported by the device. When thgat is the case, maybe a bug report might be the way to go.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Many cameras can switch between PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) and being mass-storage. Maybe you switched the camera from the on to the other.

As far as I know, a program like digiKam does know how to use PTP.
    Excellent diagnosis Henk! I had let someone use the camera and it had been set to PTP. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    Excellent diagnosis Henk! I had let someone use the camera and it had been set to PTP. Thank you very much.
    You are welcome.

I assume, nowadays one should handle these cameras as being computers. And as such, when the settings are not protected by a root password that only you know, you should not let others use it.
    Henk van Velden