Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Translation pt-pt

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Lisboa
    Posts
    55

    Red face Translation pt-pt

    Hi,

    I'm Portuguese and I wanted to help in some way to translate Opensuse to portuguese since it's like half baked (during installation and the system itself is half Portuguese and half English).

    I tried to search for the specific thread regarding this but I have no clue where to find it or if it even exists.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Translation pt-pt

    On 2015-05-02 22:36, pdvrosado wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm Portuguese and I wanted to help in some way to translate Opensuse to
    > portuguese since it's like half baked (during installation and the
    > system itself is half Portuguese and half English).


    The different components are translated by different groups. In general,
    translations are made upstream: ie, kde is translated by the kde people,
    gnome by the gnome people, LibreOffice by LO people, mozilla by mozilla
    people — and software that is created by opensuse is translated by
    opensuse people. For instance, YaST, zypper, are translated by us. We
    are the upstream of those.

    Except a few smaller applications that are translated by the translation
    project.

    So, it depends on what exact thing you are seeing in English, in order
    to suggest where you can contribute.


    > I tried to search for the specific thread regarding this but I have no
    > clue where to find it or if it even exists.


    The correct venue is the translation mail list.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,872

    Default Re: Translation pt-pt

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    The correct venue is the translation mail list.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))
    Then, for the ........, why don't you provide an URL. This is the age of computer. Do not spread riddles, spread solutions!
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Translation pt-pt

    On 2015-05-03 12:26, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2707973 Wrote:
    >>
    >> The correct venue is the translation mail list.


    > Then, for the ........, why don't you provide an URL. This is the age of
    > computer. Do not spread riddles, spread solutions!


    Because a mailing list doesn't have an URL. You need a mail client, and
    post an email with a subscription request.

    If the OP wants more precise instructions, I can give them. But he may
    already know how, or not be interested in using a mail list — in both
    cases, I would be wasting time writing those instructions. Thus I wait
    for his comments before going ahead.

    I can post an URL to the wiki on translation. It did not occur to me
    yesterday.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_team
    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_guide

    However, that's just one team, and I mentioned several. I don't have
    links for all of them, and those I have are not stored in this machine.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Lisboa
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Translation pt-pt

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2015-05-02 22:36, pdvrosado wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm Portuguese and I wanted to help in some way to translate Opensuse to
    > portuguese since it's like half baked (during installation and the
    > system itself is half Portuguese and half English).


    The different components are translated by different groups. In general,
    translations are made upstream: ie, kde is translated by the kde people,
    gnome by the gnome people, LibreOffice by LO people, mozilla by mozilla
    people — and software that is created by opensuse is translated by
    opensuse people. For instance, YaST, zypper, are translated by us. We
    are the upstream of those.

    Except a few smaller applications that are translated by the translation
    project.

    So, it depends on what exact thing you are seeing in English, in order
    to suggest where you can contribute.


    > I tried to search for the specific thread regarding this but I have no
    > clue where to find it or if it even exists.


    The correct venue is the translation mail list.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))


    The installation process for starters, is quite incomplete. Yast itself is half portuguese half english and quite the few apps of the KDE desktop

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Lisboa
    Posts
    55

    Default Re: Translation pt-pt

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2015-05-03 12:26, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > robin_listas;2707973 Wrote:
    >>
    >> The correct venue is the translation mail list.


    > Then, for the ........, why don't you provide an URL. This is the age of
    > computer. Do not spread riddles, spread solutions!


    Because a mailing list doesn't have an URL. You need a mail client, and
    post an email with a subscription request.

    If the OP wants more precise instructions, I can give them. But he may
    already know how, or not be interested in using a mail list — in both
    cases, I would be wasting time writing those instructions. Thus I wait
    for his comments before going ahead.

    I can post an URL to the wiki on translation. It did not occur to me
    yesterday.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_team
    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_guide

    However, that's just one team, and I mentioned several. I don't have
    links for all of them, and those I have are not stored in this machine.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))


    thank you, I'll take a look at those and try to help. I already translate the help page of firefox to Pt-Pt so this won't be a challenge cheers!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Translation pt-pt

    On 2015-05-07 17:56, pdvrosado wrote:

    > The installation process for starters, is quite incomplete. Yast itself
    > is half portuguese half english and quite the few apps of the KDE
    > desktop


    Ok, then YaST is the openSUSE translation team.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_team
    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_guide

    You have to subscribe here:
    http://<mailto:opensuse-translation+...@opensuse.org>

    You will find me there; I'm one of the translators. Have a link at the
    web pages above, then ask again. but in that mail list: you really have
    to subscribe there.


    KDE is a completely different team, and they are good.
    I don't have handy their web page in this machine. I can post the link
    for the Spanish translation team, I suppose the rest are nearby:

    https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-l10n-es

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •