Failed to truncate file

I had the nvidia problem with the kernal update. I received notification of an nividia update and installed it. I have now had to reboot, and all I get is a message “Failed to truncate file to it own size”.

Any ideas what this is? And any idea on how to work around it?

Did you uninstall the bad kernel update?? What flavor Driver I just got the GO3 update and had no problem her but was running the new kernel which I installed from test after removing the bad updated kernel.

No I didn’t uninstall the bad kernel update. I ran the previous version of the kernel until tonight. That version will now not run.

Basically, I think I may be screwed, since I don’t have a version of the kernal that will run.

Shoukd I reinstall from scratch after the new kernal update has been released?

No you should not have to but you still have the bad kernel. The fixed comes out tomorrow I think. I got mine fro the test repo. You should have removed the bad kernel as soon as it was removed from the updates. Why would you keep bad code? It does not get better with age. :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you boot to the previous kernel? What kernel are you using now??

Re installing is an option but you don’t have to wait the bad update was removed gone no longer there. Best way for minimum disruption is to download the full DVD install ISO and select doing an upgrade. Yes an upgrade from 13.2 to 13.2 this will preserve any application you have installed and also by default not format you home partition thus keeping your personal settings and data. But you will still need to do all the updates from the time the ISO was released. It is a pretty long list.

Thanks for the reply.

This is being typed on my laptop, which is running 12.2. I’m glad now that I didn’t upgrade it!

The reason I didn’t deinstall the bad kernel was that a) I don’t know how to deinstall a kernel. It sounds prlaetty drastic. And b) I was running quite happily with the previous version of the kernal via the advanced options on the grub menu. I assumea d everything would sort itself out when the new version of the kernal was released.

Because I’m using a laptop, it might be faster for me to reinstall from the disc I have and do aThat sn upgrade from that. Burning a new disk would take forever using the laptop. That will preserve the home directory (which, in any case, is continually backed up to the cloud), and I’ll quite happily sit there doing the updates since last October. Unless there’s some reason why I shouldn’t.

It is not drastic at all in Linux just go to Yast find the kernel open the version tab at the bottom and indicate which you want gone. Bing bang done You just don’t want to delete all kernels :stuck_out_tongue:

Up to you how and if you do an upgrade. But remember the LIVE ISO can not do upgrade only new installs ie formatting root partition. Also you may have to intervene to not format home. Pay close attention the Installer does exactly what you tell it to do which may not actually be what you want so be alert don’t just press accept accept accept.

Are you sure you’re unable to boot to your older kernel?

It has been many version of openSUSE ago when the default was a single installed kernel, today the default is to support multiple kernels.
When you boot initially you will arrive at your GRUB menu (the first graphical display).
Instead of accepting the default or letting the timeout choose your default, click on the screen and select “Advanced”
You should see every kernel you’ve installed and a corresponding emergency mode (which among things boots the kernel but with low resolution graphics).

TSU

That’s what I did before the latest nvidia update. But now, if I boot to the old kernel, I get a blank screen. At least with booting to the new (duff) kernel I get error messages.rotfl!

Using the recover mode makes no difference.

So it occurred to me that I had a perfectly working Windows operating system and that I could download the latest .iso file using that. So I burned a DVD, ran the upgrade and got the same thing (including the “Problem loading in-kernel x.509” message.

Where do I go from here? Do I have to wait until the powers that be produce an .iso that contains a kernel that doesn’t do this?

I can’t do a manual upgrade to the system, by the way, because I’m loading the system read-only.

On 2015-04-21 18:56, johngwalker wrote:
> I can’t do a manual upgrade to the system, by the way, because I’m
> loading the system read-only.

Maybe I’m confused, but files can not be truncated if the filesystem is
mounted read-only.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

Yes, that’s what it’s telling me. Obviously there’s some other error there that’s making the system read-only, but everything shoots past so fast I can’t tell what the error is (assuming that it’s being reported).

On 2015-04-21 19:16, johngwalker wrote:
> robin_listas;2706076 Wrote:

>> Maybe I’m confused, but files can not be truncated if the filesystem is
>> mounted read-only.

> Yes, that’s what it’s telling me. Obviously there’s some other error
> there that’s making the system read-only, but everything shoots past so
> fast I can’t tell what the error is (assuming that it’s being reported).

Well, then what we have to find out is why the filesystem is in
read-only mode. There should be something in the not-written log. Try
“dmesg”.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Initial it is read only until the kernel is loaded. But I’m confused on what is telling you this the Installer the previous system?? Which one full DVD or Live? After the install, first boot? Sounds like you are booting to the old broken system not the DVD??? Things generaly don’t fly by on a DVD boot DVD’s are a lot slower then HD.

It never rains but it pours. I’ve not had broadband for a couple of days, so I’ve not been able to respond to the help I’ve been offered.

What is dmesg? Is it a file? If so, where can I find it?

I downloaded the .iso file, as you suggested, and ran “update”. The message is being sent out by the updated OS. It comes out even after I’ve logged on.

On 2015-04-24 18:16, johngwalker wrote:

>
> What is dmesg? Is it a file? If so, where can I find it?

A command. Runs in a terminal.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I’m now not getting the failure message - which helps the readability of the screen - but the OS is still loading as read only.

I ran dmesg and it gives me pages of messages. Which one should I be looking for? And could someone remind me of the command that displays messages a page at a time?

Thanks. Sorry for being a bit dim.

Hi, that would be

(your_command) | more
. HTH Lenwolf

A bit of goggling reminded me of “less”, so forget the question as to how to display messages a page at a time.

But after scrolling through the messages I can’t see anything obvious that’s causing me to get a read-only OS loaded. Any clue as to what I should be looking for?

boot to a live DVD/CD and run a fsck on each partition you may have a broken file system