Thread: Suse 13.2 LDAP Need help with last steps

Default Suse 13.2 LDAP Need help with last steps

I've been setting up LDAP for the first time and so far I have made up to:
    • Set up Authentication server (default)
    • Set up Authentication client (default) and only added one authentication mechanism as they was required. The 3 fields I set at: id_provider=ldap, ldap_schema=rfc2307bis, ldap_url=ldap://ldap.mydomain.com .
    • Went to Users and added a couple of LDAP users, LDAP groups and added the 2 groups to one of the users.

But the final bit I can't find how to do. What I want to do is:
    • Associate the groups with directories so if a user is a member of the group they have permission to access the directories associated with the group.
    • Have a more full user creation. E.g. When I created a LDAP user the directory for the user under /home/theuser/ was virtually empty and only had two empty directories called bin and public_html.
    • Use LDAP to do what NIS would do - unless someone tells me that's a bad idea but what I have read suggests moving it all under LDAP is the way to go.
    • When I log out to the log in screen I only see the non-LDAP users to log in as so I would like to make this work.

I'm sure this is all basic stuff for someone who has set up LDAP before but this is the very first time I have used it.

Also, I saw an option to use kerberos however thinking it might add extra complexity I don't want to deal with just yet I left it off. Does anyone know if this is just a matter of saying "yes, use it" or does it add more complexity?

Default Re: Suse 13.2 LDAP Need help with last steps

One last thing, on Authentication server if I click on "Enable Password Policies" and then "Edit Policy" it crashes (an Error dialog box comes up and then it closes). Does anyone else have this problem and/or know a workaround?

Default Re: Suse 13.2 LDAP Need help with last steps

I've been asking around and apparently on Linux LDAP is really only used for authentication. In Windows you see all manner of information and controls through it. I've been told that I really should be looking at Samba for what I am asking.