Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE Applications released for Frameworks 5

Default KDE Applications released for Frameworks 5

Time to rejoice. KDE Applications has been released with support for KDE Frameworks 5.
    https://www.kde.org/announcements/an...ns-15.04.0.php

As soon as the openSUSE repositories have been updated I will make the switch. Interesting times. Perhaps time to rid ourself with KDE 4 completely.

Default Re: KDE Applications released for Frameworks 5

Quote Originally Posted by DJViking View Post
    Time to rejoice. KDE Applications has been released with support for KDE Frameworks 5.
    What do you mean with "with support for KDE Frameworks 5"?
    Some KF5 based applications have been part of the 14.12 release in December already.
    Meanwhile some more are ported and included though.

And Plasma 5 totally independent of KDE Applications 15.04 and released separately.
    The 15.04 release rather still includes an updated KDE4 desktop/workspace, as you can read in the announcement.

As soon as the openSUSE repositories have been updated I will make the switch.
    It is in KDE:Applications already, that's a new repo for tracking the KDE Applications releases, but that's only available for Factory at the moment.
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...tory_standard/

The KF5 based applications will probably not be released as update for existing openSUSE versions though.
    And they probably will not be moved to the other KDE repos (KDE:Current, KDE:Distro:Factory) either, as those are supposed to contain KDE4 (ok, KDF does contain some KF5 based applications as well, as it is/was the Factory devel project). And there's no point in having the same packages in multiple repos anyway...

Interesting times. Perhaps time to rid ourself with KDE 4 completely.
    Most KDE4 applications have not been ported yet (the transition will still take a year or two probably), or the KF5 based ports are not released yet.
    Current git snapshots are available in KDE:Unstable:Extra since quite some time, and in my home:wolfi323:branches:KDE:Frameworks5 repo (which allows you to have both KDE4 and Plasma5+KF5 based applications installed).
    Last edited by wolfi323; 16-Apr-2015 at 09:12.

Good news indeed. I run KDE Plasma 5 in a virtual box and I am really impressed. But I think I will wait until the new KDE & Applications will be the default desktop in openSUSE to use it on my productive machine. For now I am really satisfied with KDE4 .

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    What do you mean with "with support for KDE Frameworks 5"?
    Ported to KDE Frameworks 5.... What else would I mean.

Some KF5 based applications have been part of the 14.12 release in December already.
    Meanwhile some more are ported and included though.

Most KDE4 applications have not been ported yet (the transition will still take a year or two probably), or the KF5 based ports are not released yet.
    Current git snapshots are available in KDE:Unstable:Extra since quite some time, and in my home:wolfi323:branches:KDE:Frameworks5 repo (which allows you to have both KDE4 and Plasma5+KF5 based applications installed).
    April 15, 2015. Today KDE released KDE Applications 15.04. With this release a total of 72 applications have been ported to KDE Frameworks 5
    Some applications might have been ported up until now, but now they have released a collection of KDE Frameworks 5 applications.

Quote Originally Posted by DJViking View Post
    Ported to KDE Frameworks 5.... What else would I mean.
    How should I know? That's why I asked.

But "with support for" is definitely not the same as "ported to".

Some applications might have been ported up until now, but now they have released a collection of KDE Frameworks 5 applications.
    Well, it's not really "a collection of KDE Frameworks 5 applications", it's actually (still) a collection of KDE4 and KF5 based applications.

Just like 14.12 was (with fewer KF5 based applications of course), the last KDE Applications release from December.
    And 15.08 (to be released in August) will include even more KF5 based applications, dolphin e.g.

Btw, the (released) KF5 based applications will replace their KDE4 counterparts in Factory/Tumbleweed soon as well.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 16-Apr-2015 at 10:16.

It could be OT but not at all..
    first wolfi323 wrote this..
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323
    Some KF5 based applications have been part of the 14.12 release in December....
    and I think it was a typo for 14.1...
    then this..
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Just like 14.12 was (with fewer KF5 based a....
    ..so a suspect rise...
    does finally the version criteria changed to year.month or it is another typo??

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    It could be OT but not at all..
    first wolfi323 wrote this.. and I think it was a typo for 14.1...
    No, that is no typo.

The latest release is 15.04, the previous one was 14.12:
    https://www.kde.org/announcements/an...ns-14.12.0.php

Does finally the version criteria changed to year.month or it is another typo??
    Yes, in December already.
    That's because the releases contain KF5 based applications as well (since 14.12.0), so it made no sense to call them KDE 4.15 or similar...

Wolfgang:
    Does this mean you'll be dropping your "dual-session" repos for Fact/TW as it appears that the KDE4 DE (not apps) will be dropped from Fact/TW?

Quote Originally Posted by noee View Post
    Wolfgang:
    Does this mean you'll be dropping your "dual-session" repos for Fact/TW as it appears that the KDE4 DE (not apps) will be dropped from Fact/TW?
    No, at least not now.
    It doesn't make a difference to me (regarding workload) whether I build it for Factory/TW too or not, so I see no reason to drop Factory/TW targets.

Also, I'm not so sure that KDE4 (the desktop) is dropped from Factory at all yet. The source package kdebase4-workspace (which contains plasma-desktop too) is still needed for other stuff too. And I will even volunteer to maintain it (and plasma-addons) if necessary.
    Of course the plasma5 packages will soon obsolete KDE4, but I remove those obsoletes from my packages, so if you use my repo you will still be able to keep KDE4.
    If it is dropped, I will even put KDE4 packages into my repo additionally. The name will not be fitting any more, but well, I'm probably not going to rename it as people know it already...

I'm not sure whether it would make sense to keep the KDE4 applications alive though. The KF5 based versions are the direct successors (and most are straight ports at the moment anyway) and the KDE4 versions are unmaintained. The only reason to keep them around IMHO would be to prevent people from having to install additional KF5 packages.

Sounds reasonable. FWIW, while I don't have direct experience maintaining pkgs with the OBS, if you need help, I have some spare time nowadays...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast