Thread: sane development backends installation for released opensuse version

Default sane development backends installation for released opensuse version

Does anyone maintain an rpm to install the latest sane development backends into a release version of openSuSE?

I have foolishly bought a Canon Canoscan LIDE 220 scanner having checked on the Sane database that it had complete support. Unfortunately what I did not notice was that the complete support was in the development thread of the package! Silly me!

I have uninstalled the SuSE scanner software and downloaded the latest Sane sources which I have compiled and installed. I have checked that these give me the support for the 220. The problem is that the Sane install does not provide me device permissions to access the USB port for the scanner. I have to chmod to give the scanner USB port write access to all users - each time I reboot the computer.
    Add to that that I can find no way to install xsane so I have no graphic access to the scanner.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Blog Entries

Default Re: sane development backends installation for released opensuse version

I haven't installed support for Canon for a long time so I looked around for what might be available from Canon. The unique problem with supporting Canon printers/scanners is that they use a proprietary network protocol so general printing solutions can be problematic.

I found this which supposedly describes Canon's current OEM solution
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/office...q_pro#Overview

On that page there is a link to the page for downloading drivers and software
    http://canon.codehost.com/

I don't have a scenario I can test this, so this is just a suggestion without knowing if it actually works.
    If it does or does not work, pls post back here with your results.

TSU

Default Re: sane development backends installation for released opensuse version

Thanks for responding Tsu.
    It is the scanner function that I am looking to resolve. The Sane support page:
    http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sa...s.html#Z-CANON
    has the CanoScan LiDE 220 support down as Complete but, as I mentioned, that is in the development string.

My problem is that the requisite backend shipped with 13.1 and 13.2 do not have support for the 220.

I have managed to compile and install the development package downloaded direct from Sane git repository but that does not play nicely with OpenSuSE device permissions handling and I can find no way to get it to play nicely with an OpenSuSE packaged XSane.

What I would like is if someone could tell me how to resolve the permissions problem so user processes can write to the USB port with the scanner on it or if someone already maintains a package which installs the latest development thread of the Sane and XSane packages.

Default AW: sane development backends installation for released opensuse version

Default AW: sane development backends installation for released opensuse version

From the README.linux:
    3.3. udev rules file:

$ sudo cp tools/udev/libsane.rules /etc/udev/rules.d

Reconnect your scanner to the USB bus to activate the new rules file.

3.4. Use the scanner with normal user rights:

Your user must be a member of the group scanner.

$ cat /etc/group | grep scanner
    scanner:x:107:<user>

Create a new group scanner, if it doesn't exist.

$ sudo addgroup scanner

Add an existing user to group scanner.

$ sudo adduser <username> scanner

After this you must logoff and login again.:

Thanks Sauerland, that pointed me in the right direction.

The file /etc/udev/rules.d/libsane.rules is already present from the install but the scanner is not given the scanner group.
    I looked at another system with a scanner attached and found that the rules file was called 55-libsane.rules and there was also a file 56-sane-backends-autoconfig.rules.
    As a first test I renamed the libsane.rules to 55-libsane.rules, disconnected the scanner and then reconnected.
    The port in /dev/bus/usb/001 was now 004 and had the scanner group. I had already created a scanner group and added my user name to the group.
    Xsane installed from the source package found the scanner and all now works just fine.

From this I would guess that rules files have to have a numeric prefix.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pblewis View Post
    Thanks Sauerland, that pointed me in the right direction.

The file /etc/udev/rules.d/libsane.rules is already present from the install but the scanner is not given the scanner group.
    I looked at another system with a scanner attached and found that the rules file was called 55-libsane.rules and there was also a file 56-sane-backends-autoconfig.rules.
    As a first test I renamed the libsane.rules to 55-libsane.rules, disconnected the scanner and then reconnected.
    The port in /dev/bus/usb/001 was now 004 and had the scanner group. I had already created a scanner group and added my user name to the group.
    Xsane installed from the source package found the scanner and all now works just fine.

From this I would guess that rules files have to have a numeric prefix.
    Glad to see you figured out your problem.
    The rules files are numbered to designate the order the files in the same folder are read (This is an old convention which is being obsolesced generally in favor of a single file specifying hierarchy and order).

TSU