Thread: Metasploit Framework - msfconsole fails to start

Default Metasploit Framework - msfconsole fails to start

After installing it's dependences followed by installing metasploit framework it complained about a syntax error in a particular file. After googling I found out other people solved the problem by putting

encoding: US-ASCII

at the top of the offending file and that worked for the first one, but now it's complaining about rubygems.rb with this error:
    Code:
    <internal:gem_prelude>:1:in `require': /home/adam/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.1.5/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/2.1.0/rubygems.rb:1: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting end-of-input (SyntaxError)
    encoding: US-ASCII
             ^
            from <internal:gem_prelude>:1:in `<compiled>'
    even after putting the encoding line at the top. I suspect "expecting end-of-input" is a massive giveaway as to what the problem is but after comparing this file with the one that stopped producing an error after applying this fix (adding the encoding line) I can't see a difference and I've never coded in ruby before so I'm at a loss.

Does anybody know how to get msfconsole working?

Running openSUSE 13.2 KDE 64bit

Blog Entries

Default Re: Metasploit Framework - msfconsole fails to start

Any time a language library or file is missing,
    The first thing to do is to look for and install the special Development Language Repo for that language.

In this case,
    Because it's a ruby file, the following command adds the Ruby repo (Modify the OS version if you're not running 13.2)
    Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/ruby:/extensions/openSUSE_13.2/ devel:languages:ruby:extensions
    If that doesn't provide the file, then the next step is to look for, and possibly install packages from the project Ruby repositories (Ruby is cross-platform).

HTH,
    TSU

Thank you

What do I run to check for the file after adding the repo?

Problem has been solved by running the command you suggested followed by reinstalling metasploit framework from here http://www.rapid7.com/products/metas...wnload.jsp#msf

thanks again

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CyberShrek View Post
    Problem has been solved by running the command you suggested followed by reinstalling metasploit framework from here http://www.rapid7.com/products/metas...wnload.jsp#msf

thanks again
    Yup.
    Glad to hear you figured it out.

TSU