after update Tumbleweed I can't start Jackd Jack Connection Kit

Since the last 2 tumbleweed updates I cannot start Jack Connection Kit either… I’ve tried everything and checked if real time scheduling was enabled etc but no joy, it is not even though I have followed the recommendations to enable it.

john@linux-or25:~> jackd 
jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2014 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
Cannot create RT messagebuffer thread: Operation not permitted (1)
Retrying messagebuffer thread without RT scheduling
Messagebuffer not realtime; consider enabling RT scheduling for user

also

22:50:26.195 Patchbay activated.
22:50:26.201 Statistics reset.
22:50:26.222 ALSA connection change.
22:51:16.275 D-BUS: Service not available (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus).
22:51:16.286 JACK is starting...
22:51:16.286 /usr/bin/jackd -r -dalsa -r44100 -p1024 -n3 -Xraw -D -Chw:MID -Phw:io2
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
22:51:16.301 ALSA connection graph change.
22:51:16.348 JACK was started with PID=5800.
22:51:16.487 ALSA active patchbay scan...
22:51:18.493 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
22:51:18.514 JACK is stopping...
22:51:18.535 JACK was stopped
22:51:18.535 JACK has crashed.

any ideas? anyone… I’ve been searching everything across the net nothing seems to help. It was always working fine before that.
FYI pulseaudio is disabled (always has been)

I have the same problem ! and I urge to solve it , I tried to downgrade jack , but no , it’s probably a problem of systemd dbus or similar . I urgently because I do audio work with ardor ! I thank everyone for a possible workaround , waiting for the problem is resolved

Indeed! I am also working on an audio project for a documentary… I figured this has something to do with the kernel or the distribution and that I am not the only one with the issue… I tried to downgrade jack but I couldn’t go back to earlier kernels as I’m on Tumbleweed and I have it set to use only the last 2 kernels as multiversions… hmmmm.
Giordano, I’ll let you know if I find a solution myself.

D-BUS: Service not available (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus)
something to do with this alright…

I also tried the downgrade of the kernel as well as jacks , but nothing to do … I think it is related to problems of libraries dbus … would be useful to make a report to the team , if you know how to do, I gave urgency to use jack , if I find a solution I write it here , but I doubt I would not know what to do downgrade packages , and I can not downgrade the whole system

yeah, it’s a pity no one is looking into this post other than us…

BTW Giordano, I have used your repo on buildservice for Ardour 3 for sometime already. I was very pleased you put that together. Thanks.

I’m happy for the repository , I try to keep it as well as possible , such as various confilitti that there was for ardour3 at compile time , plus there are ardor calf kxstudio version , and entire suite of plugins appropriate. Lacked the opensuse repository dedicated to professional audio , and I am happy that there are people to whom this has been helpful , but this bug is making me nervous , within a few days I have to start a new audio project for a band , and I would not be forced to install the 13.1

sorry for my imprecise english

I can understand the nature of your concern… I have the same ones
It makes me think that maybe I should be using Ubuntu Studio as base, or something other than openSUSE… I had a chat with Jeff Hoogland from Bodhi linux a while back and he assured me if I went with Bodhi, I wouldn’t run into problems and the support for studio professionals would be maintained, and that I could get his advice any time. But I feel unsure about Enlightenment… KDE is my preferred desktop, even though I like things about GNOME and Xfce too. I still am no wiser about getting JACK to work. Pity, cos I like opeSUSE a lot because of the buildservice, Yast and zypper, and Tumbleweed has served me well so far.

As for me , in addition to the opensuse buildservice , is the best distributions that I 've used in 10 years, stable and clean the package manager is one of the best on the consistency of the packages . is the first time I have a problem … and probably the wrong choice was the tumbleweed , which I thought was the best solution , being rolling , and is very stable , but I find it quite unacceptable a bug so great , as Jack , and that after days still not been resolved , and you do not find any information. I tried to downgrade systemd , dbus , alsa , jack , kernel , without success , I can not understand what the offending package , or what political system did check the bug , I’m waiting for an update , and I expect to next update , the bug is resolved. otherwise they are forced to make a downgrade distribution , and switch to 13.2 , in theory it is sufficient to change the repository , and third party repositories

solved by switching to suse 13.2 , the price to pay is the migration from distribution to distribution . the software are virtually the same version tumbleweed . jack works well , proprietary drivers idem , kde is to 3.14.6 . I also recommend to you this passage.
possibly recommend using obs to update software specific to the most recent version if you feel the need

example if you need kernel update :wink: 3.16.7 its good kernel, but, if you need, obs offer 3.19 as well, and the driver 340 for nvidia for kernel 3.16 its compatible with kernel 3.19.X

Looks like that’s the best option alright…

OK, I got courage and I did it and it works!
It was a helluva thing though… I did it by changing the repos and doing a zypper dup… in fact I’m still tweaking the system a bit. of course, kernel 3.19 didn’t get replaced although it did install 3.16, which I’ll keep as fallback. It’s the packaging on Tumbleweed that is causing the error in Jack. As soon as I installed 13.2, it was back working again with the same 3.19 kernel (so that;s not the problem). Like you I don’t have hours to go through it, then discover the problem and post on a forum. Nobody except you responded to the post, so clearly there are not many audio professionals using Tumbleweed… Maybe when things are quieter I might try to get together with you (if you’re interested, that is) and make an openSUSE build that is perfect for audio and video production. It can be done, of that I am sure. Time is the difficult factor.
Once again, thanks for packing Ardour 3 up… I got some nice work done with it… recorded some tribal folk music here in Borneo (where I live) for a New Zealand film maker.

I have the same problem. I are used to Ubuntu based distros, but arrived to openSuse in the hope to find the best distro for photography and video. Video needs also sound, and i use jack and a firewire audio card. It’s the first time i don’t can start jack with Qjackctl and can not resolve the problem. I installed openSUSE yesterday for the first time and are very impressed with it. I hope that this problem are resolved quickly.

seriously though, I downgraded Tumbleweed to 13.2 and the Qjackctrl problem was solved.
I personally don’t recommend Tumbleweed for anyone just starting to use openSUSE. Anyway, with 13.2 you can install the appropriate Community repositories and have a very up to date system without being at the mercy of a rolling release which poses a higher risk of breaking. I still have all the right versions of apps I desire, why even my kernel is running at version 3.19 (latest one before 4). 13.2 is very stable and easier to manage.
If you find it fun testing out new things, with some stability, then great… If stability and reliability is paramount, then stick with the official release.
I do work with audio and cannot risk breaking the system.

Thank you Johnoshok. i installed Tumbleweed because i like the idea of a rolling release and using new things. It has a price, i know. I can live without jack a few weeks, so i wait a bit and see if the problem persists.

I’m glad you’ve been helpful , in opensuse generally lacking sound support , is used for purposes most of the network, server and desktop simple . actually my dream would be to do a susestudio , with my obs and metapackage , just for audio production . ( like kxstudio ) my obs is still full audio production , though missing some plugins please tell me . It would be helpful to have staff to maintain , with regard to the video kdenlive use only , and thus are less versed in matters

at present the rolling-release does not present many updated packages compared to 13.2 , there are real benefits , the tumbleweed is most appropriate at the time, for those who want to test all the new versions of software , as it should now move to plasma5 , the which implies a total change and reorganization of work on the computer , if you need a stable environment and organized is better to stay on the main, and gradually make update to the next version ( aka 13.3 ) if it is considered necessary . at present the 13.2 is practically like tumbleweed , not the kernel , and a few packs :slight_smile: you can still experience updates that you consider necessary ( kernel , xorg , mesa , proprietary drivers , kde , then retrace their steps by simply removing the repository ) however, let us know if jack operates again , just to see what the intervention is timely on tumbleweed

ps i dont use qjack, but cadence :smiley: this is in my repository, directly grabbed from kxstudio

Hello,

It looks like a file is missing:

With a strace, it looks like it’s /dev/shm/jack_default_1000_0 (replace 1000 by your uid).

If it works on openSUSE 13.2, then you should make a bug report for Tumbleweed:
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports

As I don’t use jack, I can’t help you any more than that.

Regards,

Antoine

Giordano, I really want to get back to you on this, but for the moment can’t… I’ve got quite a few ideas on it, some of which may be viable. As soon as I’ve some pace and time I’ll give you a list of the plugins I like… I’m still a bit old-fashioned though, I like amps and filters that look a bit like those in the real world having a GUI and all that… i.e. pole filters with knobs