decorations repair

I just spent a half hour googling around for a fix - all my Konsole (KDE/opensuse 13.1x64) windows have no “decorations” (meaning I can’t resize them with click and drag). I also don’t have access to the menu item which enables/disables this, because that part of the window is part of the decoration (right click > More Actions > Special xxxx Settings). Can anyone help me with a mouse sequence to turn them back on? thanks!

PS: The term “decorations” is somewhat ambiguous in KDE - fairly often it refers to interaction with Desktop Effects.

Sounds like kwin, the window manager, crashed/failed to start.

Can you run it manually? (“kwin”)
Which error message do you get if not?

Does it work in a fresh user account?
In recovery mode? (Advanced Options in the boot menu)

Thanks for the reply, Wolfie - all the other windws have decorations, just not my konsoles. I think I manually changed those to have no decorations, and now those menus are no longer available (on konsole) because the menus to enable/disable decorations on any particular window are in the decorations themselves. :X

Then I misunderstood your problem, sorry.
I though all windows are missing the decorations…

I think I manually changed those to have no decorations, and now those menus are no longer available (on konsole) because the menus to enable/disable decorations on any particular window are in the decorations themselves. :X

Press Alt+F3 to reach the window menu to reenable the window decorations.

When you disable it via the window menu, a dialog appears telling you how to enable it again… :wink:

Thanks, Wolfie! That fixed it. I knew it was something like that, so I was trying all the function key + Alt/Ctrl/Shift+Alt, etc. I got to some weird places. Your suggestion did the trick!! That’s one worth remembering!

patti