Define automount point

openSUSE 13.2 64bit KDE 4.14.6

Whenever I plug in a USB device it automounts to /run/media/user/driveid. I would like it to be mounted to a different directory. Which configuration file do I modify to do that?

Thanks in advance.

I have several external USB drives, I prefer them to be mounted under an “External” directory that I created under my home directory, rather than where the system wants to place them.

What I used to accomplish this was “Partitioner” under Yast, for me I think this is the easiest route to take.

You method works for devices connected prior to boot, but in this case I believe the mount is performed by KDE.

What the above means IMHO is that when you have an entry in /etc/fstab for the file system, it will not be mounted by the desktop. But of course the file system must be recognized, thus you can not use /dev/sd??, but you have to use by-label or one of the others.

I believe I did not ask the correct question. Here is an alternative explanation.

I am at my operating computer (openSUSE 13.2 64bit KDE 4.14.6). A friend connects his USB stick to it. The KDE device notifier asks if I want to open it with my default file manager. I accept. The device is now mounted. When I run “mount” I see it is mounted as…

/dev/sdb1 on /run/media/ion/openSUSE 13.3 KDE Live type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)

I do not want it automatically mounted to /run/media/…, I want it automatically mounted to the already created directory /mnt/ext_usb/…

How do I do that? Thanks.

[QUOTE=I do not want it automatically mounted to /run/media/…, I want it automatically mounted to the already created directory /mnt/ext_usb/…

How do I do that? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hello,
I hate this automount path so i crated a link to it

do something like below in the path you want and own the rights.
ln -s /run/media/yourlogin/ usbsticks

Cheers

I hadn’t thought of a linked directory but I think your solution will serve me just fine. Thank you.