Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No sound from speakers or headphone port.

Default No sound from speakers or headphone port.

I've set up both of my cards (or at-least tried);

Lynx Point High Definition Audio Controller
    Haswell High Definition Audio Controller

and I have had no luck getting audio from my speakers or audio ports. When I go to YaST>Sound and test the audio on the cards I only get the trumpet sound from the card that is set as (1). I know that (0) is my first car and that (1) is my second, so why do I get sound in YaST from the second one? Also when I set the second ohene as the primary card and I retry the test I only, again, get sound from the card set as my second one (1). Can anyone help me?

p.s: I'm a noob

Blog Entries

Default Re: No sound from speakers or headphone port.

Is this KDE or Gnome, as it may make a difference, especially since KDE has a settings area that defines specifics for the audio

I have two sound devices also but just stick with the one, on-board system.
    Tumbleweed_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Is this KDE or Gnome, as it may make a difference, especially since KDE has a settings area that defines specifics for the audio

I have two sound devices also but just stick with the one, on-board system.
    Uhm,...XFCE?

Blog Entries

To help better understand your sound configuration, and also understand better any possible misconfiguration, could you please run the following diagnostic script ? With your PC connected to the Internet, open a konsole/xterm and in that konsole/xterm as a regular user send the following command:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    and don't update if asked, and select the SHARE/UPLOAD option when prompted. Let the script run to completion. In the konsole/xterm it will provide you a web-address/URL where it has uplaoded the configuration information. Please provide that web-address/URL so we can inspect your PC's audio configuration.

Possibly armed with that information, we may be able to better provide you with an appropriate recommendation to address your audio problem.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    To help better understand your sound configuration, and also understand better any possible misconfiguration, could you please run the following diagnostic script ? With your PC connected to the Internet, open a konsole/xterm and in that konsole/xterm as a regular user send the following command:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    and don't update if asked, and select the SHARE/UPLOAD option when prompted. Let the script run to completion. In the konsole/xterm it will provide you a web-address/URL where it has uplaoded the configuration information. Please provide that web-address/URL so we can inspect your PC's audio configuration.

Possibly armed with that information, we may be able to better provide you with an appropriate recommendation to address your audio problem.
    Ok I did it. Here is the link it provided

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ba...75c9420cba84f8

Anything else I can assist with?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    I've set up both of my cards (or at-least tried);

Lynx Point High Definition Audio Controller
    Haswell High Definition Audio Controller

and I have had no luck getting audio from my speakers or audio ports. When I go to YaST>Sound and test the audio on the cards I only get the trumpet sound from the card that is set as (1). I know that (0) is my first car and that (1) is my second, so why do I get sound in YaST from the second one? Also when I set the second ohene as the primary card and I retry the test I only, again, get sound from the card set as my second one (1). Can anyone help me?
    I am trying to match what I read above with what I see in the script output

I note a laptop running openSUSE-13.2 (64-bit version) with two sound devices, where card/device-0 is the laptop's HDMI (Intel Haswell HDMI) and card/device-1 is the laptop's digital/analog audio (Realtek ALC892)

You probably do not have HDMI setup , which is likely why you get no sound from card-0.

Probably the reason you only get sound from card-1, when you try to change the digital/analog audio to card-0 is yast fails to do so properly. This is because both the HDMI and the ALC892 are both using the alsa Intel kernel module (alsa driver for audio) and Yast does not have the 'code' to setup a way to differentiate.

Now that that this has been explained, are you happy with this setup, or do you need to be given a way to force the ALC892 to be card-0 ? There is a way to do so, but its complex and I would need to give you a specifc hard code edit to the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file in order to make such a force work.

I note you do not have pulse audio running, hence you can not use puavucontrol to force audio to your desired device.

But as noted, I can provide you an edit if your speaker sound is not working for your nominal applications.

Apologies - my replies will be slow, as I am on vacation and only check the forum once every day or two.
    Last edited by oldcpu; 07-Apr-2015 at 12:13.

Blog Entries

But as noted, I can provide you an edit if your speaker sound is not working for your nominal applications.
    In case you need this edit (because sound is not working in your applications) to help me come up with the correct edit, could you please copy here the content of the file /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf ?

You can see the content of that file by typing:
    Code:
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

Blog Entries

In case you need this edit (because sound is not working in your applications) to help me come up with the correct edit, could you please copy here the content of the file /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf ?

Code:
    I also noted this in your script output:
    Code:
    !!Advanced information - PCI Vendor/Device/Subsystem ID's
    !!-------------------------------------------------------

00:03.0 0403: 8086:0c0c (rev 06)
    	Subsystem: 1558:6557
    --
    00:1b.0 0403: 8086:8c20 (rev 05)
    	Subsystem: 1558:6557
    Further to the above, likely, I will ask you to place the following at the start of that /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file (before the other lines). I am guessing that pid=08c20 is your ALC892 and the pid=0c0c is the HDMI
    Code:
    options snd_hda_intel index=0 vid=8086 pid=8c20 
    options snd_hda_intel index=1 vid=8086 pid=0c0c
    Then after making the edit, do a reboot and see if that succeeds in reversing the cards order.

Now that that this has been explained, are you happy with this setup, or do you need to be given a way to force the ALC892 to be card-0 ? There is a way to do so, but its complex and I would need to give you a specifc hard code edit to the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file in order to make such a force work.

I honestly don't know which one would be better. I'm guessing the Realtek ALC card would be better?

P.S: I'm also busy with work so I'll have slow replies.

Code:
    options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-hda-intel
    # 3hqH.ePW4OJM81O1:Haswell HD Audio Controller
    alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
    # u1Nb.R9o2zE_xLv2:Lynx Point High Definition Audio Controller
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

This is what shows up when I type the code in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast