Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black screen after installing nvidia driver

Default Black screen after installing nvidia driver

Hi there,

I'm new in this forum and it's the very first time I make a post. I have problems after the installation of the nvidia driver, but first of all some facts about my system and hardware

• OpenSuse 13.1, 64 Bit-Version
    • Nvidia GTX 760

The system is fresh installed and all updates are made. The problem which occured is the following: After installing the nvidia driver (1 click installation/ the hard way) I get a black screen after rebooting the system (on both ways of installation). During the installation there are no hinds of error-messages, so I have no idea what went wrong. The nvidia driver are very important for me, because I want to programm in CUDA and they are necessary for that.

Thanks for your help, already!

Default Re: Black screen after installing nvidia driver

Hi,

Which one did you use actually? The 1-click (from https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers ) or did you manually download and install them - just asking because you say both things in your post and it's not quite clear which method you used.

If you did the manual way, it might fail if you forget to blacklist nouveau and disable KMS.
    .: miuku @ #opensuse @ irc.libera.chat

I tried both ways. First I installed it with the 1-click installation (with the link in your post) - but as described, I got a black screen after rebooting. So I decided to install the system new and tried it several times. But as the problems remaind, I decided to install it the hard way - but with the same result, though I put nouveau on the blacklist and disabling the KMS (I used this link: http://monsterbeee.blogspot.de/2013/...oprietary.html)

Take a peek at Gogal's reply here; https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...09#post2656009

You have to use the Grub2 method as that is default for 13.1. This of course on the system that is giving you the black screen and has the drivers installed already.

Ok, I tried it - but I also get stuck at the same point. I think that's not the solution - in the link above it's already recommented to do so in step 4.2.

If some more informations are needed to help me or something else is missing - just write what's missing ;-)

Right then let's ask a few things (someone might find insight from these as well):

Does your system have an onboard GPU?
    Is it a desktop system or a laptop with a 760(M)?
    Do you connect via VGA, DVI or HDMI?

If you boot the system, can you switch to a terminal pressing ctrl+alt+f1? If so, you could look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log for hints as to what the issue might be.

Hint; you can boot to text only (init 3) by entering 3 at the end of the grub linux line as suggested in the above editing instruction.

Yes I have 'on board graphic' as well on my CPU, becuase I'm using the Intel i7 4790 and it contains 'Intel HD Graphics 4600'. Do I have to switch off this?

It's a usual desktop system - so it's just gtx 760 - no laptop

I'm using currently the dvi output.

Quote Originally Posted by ha26matu View Post
    Yes I have 'on board graphic' as well on my CPU, becuase I'm using the Intel i7 4790 and it contains 'Intel HD Graphics 4600'. Do I have to switch off this?
    Check this out, I remembered there was someone who ran into a similar issue; https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...integrated_GPU

On openSUSE this file is of course /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf and you do it like you did it for nouveau, so;

blacklist i915
    blacklist intel_agp

Ok I will try it.

I was able to log in into a text-console. There were some warnings in the log-file

• the directory /usr/share/fonts/misc/sgi does not exist
    • Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled
    • Disabling keyboard
    • Disabling Mouse0

I think this not reason for my problem. But to be shure I've posted it here.

Wow! It works now! Thanks a lot - I just added 'i915' and 'intel_agp' on blacklist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast