Thread: openSuse 13.2 reinstalling applications after deletion?

Default openSuse 13.2 reinstalling applications after deletion?

Hey everyone, just recently started using openSUSE (Gnome DE) and I really like it. I'm a recent convert from Ubuntu-Gnome and Crunchbang, so I sort of know what I'm doing. I'm having an issue right now though. I updated everything and then started removing some programs I didn't need (tried via Gnome Software, Yast, and zypper). This was mostly gnucash, gnome games, liferea, etc. Yet every time I try to install something else via Yast, it loads all of those programs back as if they were a dependency of the gnome 3 desktop. While I was testing out openSUSE, I never had this issue at all. Now that I have made it my default distro, this comes up. Am I doing something wrong? I noticed there was a "Taboo" option in Yast, is this something I need to use for every package I don't want randomly reinstalled without my permission? Hopefully, I've communicated clearly and someone can help me. Its getting annoying when I delete gnome-chess and then find Yast asking to download it again when installing completely unrelated software!

Default Re: openSuse 13.2 reinstalling applications after deletion?

These are recommended programs thus they get pulled in. In yast-software management you can select not to have recommended package come in or you can Taboo the ones you don't want.

Personally unless you have a very small root partition I don't see where having the programs installed hurts much except to use a little disk space. But If you don't want them you don't have to have them.

I can see your point about leaving the recommended installs. Thanks for the tip. You have been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fattymcninja View Post
    Hey everyone, just recently started using openSUSE (Gnome DE) and I really like it. I'm a recent convert from Ubuntu-Gnome and Crunchbang, so I sort of know what I'm doing. I'm having an issue right now though. I updated everything and then started removing some programs I didn't need (tried via Gnome Software, Yast, and zypper). This was mostly gnucash, gnome games, liferea, etc. Yet every time I try to install something else via Yast, it loads all of those programs back as if they were a dependency of the gnome 3 desktop. While I was testing out openSUSE, I never had this issue at all. Now that I have made it my default distro, this comes up. Am I doing something wrong? I noticed there was a "Taboo" option in Yast, is this something I need to use for every package I don't want randomly reinstalled without my permission? Hopefully, I've communicated clearly and someone can help me. Its getting annoying when I delete gnome-chess and then find Yast asking to download it again when installing completely unrelated software!
    See this, then read the rest of the thread in this link:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...67#post2702767
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.