Thread: Clonezilla didn't do what I thought it would

Default Clonezilla didn't do what I thought it would

I got a new Samsung SSD and my plan was to use Clonezilla to clone the drive with 13.2 already installed to the new drive. I chose the drive to drive clone option and everything seemed to go OK. But the new drive is 250 GB and the old one is 60 GB. The clone operation only used 60 GB of space and left 177 GB unpartioned.

Is there another option I can use with Clonezilla that will use the whole drive?

If I use rsync to copy everything from the old SSD to the new one, will the new one be bootable?

Default Re: Clonezilla didn't do what I thought it would

There are things you must do. one is that the default is to mount the partitions via UUID. Cloning may keep the UUID value but rsync won't. So you need to deal with that in the /etc/fstab file.

Also do you have a separate home partition? It is recommended to have one make these kind of thing easy. If you don;t you could create one and copy the /home directory contents to it. You really don't need more then 40-50 gig for the root partition the rest being in swap and home.

On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 23:56:01 +0000, pilotgi wrote:

> Is there another option I can use with Clonezilla that will use the
    > whole drive?

Easiest thing to do - use Clonezilla to clone, then use gparted to expand
    the partition.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 23:56:01 +0000, pilotgi wrote:

> Is there another option I can use with Clonezilla that will use the
    > whole drive?

Easiest thing to do - use Clonezilla to clone, then use gparted to expand
    the partition.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C
    ... or, alternative, use gparted to create your new partitions on the new hard drive first, then use Clonezilla. Clonezilla will then expand the source partitions to fit the new partition sizes.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

If you precreate the partition the UUIDs won't be the same and you will have to mod fstab before you can boot.

Or you could label the partitions and mount by label before you move

Quote Originally Posted by pilotgi View Post
    I got a new Samsung SSD and my plan was to use Clonezilla to clone the drive with 13.2 already installed to the new drive. I chose the drive to drive clone option and everything seemed to go OK. But the new drive is 250 GB and the old one is 60 GB. The clone operation only used 60 GB of space and left 177 GB unpartioned.

Is there another option I can use with Clonezilla that will use the whole drive?

If I use rsync to copy everything from the old SSD to the new one, will the new one be bootable?

Hello,
    I just want to add my experiences with 3 differents brands of ssd's and cloning, most of the time if you clone the benefits of the ssd will be lost because de ssd are not stuctured like a hdd.
    I recomand to install a new os from the scratch but use your old datas on it ! i mean first you should copy the home stucture (your datas) to a new second partion (best ext4 on a linux system for compatibility) an than install the fresh os (linux or micro$oft) to another partition! Anyway, the new installation is about as fast as cloning,
    For the partition type btrfs its not realy faster and it's not supported with some tools (maybee they are comming later).
    My prefered cloning tool (because it make my archives as well and it's very easy to change the type of partition) is fsarchiver on the live rescueccd (usb version).
    greetings