Thread: Move Thunderbird

Default Move Thunderbird

Hi
    I have recently upgraded from opensuse 12.x to 13.2. with kde
    On my old computer i had thundebird as my mail client, how can i get all the setting and my emails onto my new computer.
    I seached google, but every article was about windows.

As usual thank you in advance for your help

Default Re: Move Thunderbird

In you home director a hidden director called .thunderbird. Note the period

~/.thunderbird

Default Re: Move Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    In you home director a hidden director called .thunderbird. Note the period

~/.thunderbird
    ... and in that directory, all you need to move to the new machine is everything in the profile directory, the directory with the odd-looking random name or with a name that you recognize from when you first set up Thunderbird. Note that I always give my profile directory a name of my own choosing, instead of taking that default. But, if you do that, you have to make certain it is entered into your profiles.ini file (the ini file in your ~/.thunderbird directory), such as in this example:

Code:
    [General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=0
    Path=/Fullpath_To_Any_Directory_You_Want/Subdirectory_In_That_Path/profiles/The_Name_You_Picked
    Note that, as indicated, you can have it anywhere you want it, as long as it is always accessible by the system when you launch Thunderbird. You do not have to keep it in the ~/.thunderbird directory, if you choose not to.

You can also have more than one profile, just add a [Profile1] for the next profile. The StartWithLastProfile setting can be 1 (to start with the last used profile) or 0 (in which case, a dialogue will pop up each time you launch Thunderbird, where you can choose which profile to use for that session.).

Extra information, I know, but this knowledge will give you more flexibility.

I keep my Thunderbird (and Firefox, which works the same way) profiles in a separate directory in a separate DATA partition, and using the profiles.ini as I showed above, I can directly share the profile, all in one place, between my different Linux Distros and my Windows on my multi-boot setup.

Do note, though, that if sharing with Windows, you either need to get a utility that allows Windows to mount and work with Linux partitions and file-systems, or you need to put those profiles in a shared NTFS partition (which Linux can read and write to, no additional utilities required).
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.