3 HDD dual boot system install trouble

I have three hard drives. The first is a 1 terabyte drive which I have Win 8.1 installed. The other two are 500 Gig drives. I followed the wiki’s with regarding dual boot. I formatted the 2 500 gig drives with ext4 created a swap partition and a root partition on the first and created a home partition on the second 500 gig drive. I then edited the boot drive on the windows drive to boot/efi. Everything seemed to be installing well until it was Grub’s turn. I got an error msg stating that Grub could not be installed.

Not sure what to do from here. Any help is appreciated.

Sean

Did you boot the installer in EFI mode??

Installs across several drives can be tricky. My recommendation is that you put a small boot partition on the first drive about 500 meg is fine mount it as /boot. I believe that it will save you lots of headaches.

I’m really unclear about this “I then edited the boot drive on the windows drive to boot/efi.” Can you expand in more detail what you did? I have to assume there was an existing efi boot partition and you mounted that partition as /boot/efi. That is right but it is unclear exactly what you actually did.

Can you post the output from

# fdisk -l

You can boot from the install media in rescue mode to get that output. Then perhaps mount a USB flash drive and put the output onto that drive so that you can later access it to post.

Use code tags to post that output.

You understood me correctly about mounting the existing efi boot partition.
If I make a small partition on my windows drive for the bootloader won’t there be some conflict with the one that is already there when I boot things up again?

With UEFI, the EFI partition is shared by all operating systems. Windows creates a directory “Microsoft” for its boot files. Opensuse creates a directory “opensuse” for its boot files. There need not be a conflict.

That was not what I suggested you want a /boot partition . You already have a /boot/efi partition. See the difference?

the /boot/efi partition is fat formatted the /boot should be formatted in a nice Linux friendly file system ext2 is a good choice.

this is were the kernels live. It is confusing because the names are somewhat the same. Don’t confuse them they are different animals

Thanks for the help. I was able to get everything going with all the advice.