Thread: Microsoft Office Pack

Default Microsoft Office Pack

Hello,

These days, I`ve been thinking about using Microsoft Office pack for OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. I have Microsoft Office pack already, but the question is: How do I use it?
    The launcher for the Microsoft Office pack is .exe and not .rpm.
    Anyone have any ideas how to use Microsoft Office pack on Tumbleweed?
    NOTE: Yes I know there is LibreOffice pack for free which I already have, but when I have to do a presentation or present it on another computer, I rather not have to change format. And I am more familiar with Microsoft Office.

Cheers,
    -Arpadius98

Default Re: Microsoft Office Pack

You can not use that directly on openSUSE. It might be possible to run it on Wine.
    Henk van Velden

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:36:01 +0000, Arpadius98 wrote:

> Hello,
    >
    > These days, I`ve been thinking about using Microsoft Office pack for
    > OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. I have Microsoft Office pack already, but the
    > question is: How do I use it?
    > The launcher for the Microsoft Office pack is .exe and not .rpm. Anyone
    > have any ideas how to use Microsoft Office pack on Tumbleweed?
    > NOTE: Yes I know there is LibreOffice pack for free which I already
    > have, but when I have to do a presentation or present it on another
    > computer, I rather not have to change format. And I am more familiar
    > with Microsoft Office.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > -Arpadius98

Linux is not Windows, and generally, Windows software won't run on it
    without jumping through some hoops.

You can try Codeweavers' Crossover product.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

For the most part Liberoffice supports mostly the MS doc format. You can save in doc or xdoc format and it is very compatible. True the default is to use the LO format but just select the format you want to save to. An other option is to run Windows in a Virtual Machine and use MSOffice there.

To Everyone,

Thank you for helping. Though I know that Linux is not Windows, I just thought that this is possible because I`ve seen on Youtube some Russian do it. I will check both possibilities running it with wine and with Codeweavers.
    Also, I knew the part you can save it onto any format (windows powerpoint, etc...). Though since I`ve been using the Microsoft Office for years, I though of continuing using that. Since I have had some trouble writing documents (I can only find 1 type of header which is the default one, so I would need help with that one).
    Though I see another good suggestion which I have thought of doing (but before I did not think of using it for Microsoft Office), that I could use a Virtual version of Windows and running it on OpenSUSE. I have a friend who knows how to do that.
    With LibreOffice the only trouble I had is that once 3 very important documents got corupted, and I could not retrieve any of them. Any ideas on preventing file corruption? Because I spent quite a long time making the documents and I had to make it again, I also have other problems with OpenSUSE (where I loose things, like my desktop) but I rather not talk about those since they are off topic.
    Otherwise I will try as many of the suggestions as possible, and hope they all work!
    Thank you all for such short notice.

Cheers,
    -Arpadius98

A bit late to the party but I'd like to share my experience.
    Current versions of wine run windows apps quite well, the problem is with the DRM and the installer in MS Office, I'd say you can install and use your key with older versions of Office up to and including 2003, 2007 might have issues with the installer as it comes with multiple msi files but the license management aka your key will probably still work, newer versions 2010 and 2013 might be an issue.
    On the other hand I've used a few office suits and LibreOffice's compatibility with Microsofts older format (doc, xls, ppt) is excellent you can open and save those formats without any issues, that being said you do have several choices. You can use LibreOffice or you can get the Freemium Softmaker Office for Linux (an older version use to come with suse in the nonoss repo) http://www.freeoffice.com or use an older version of Ms Office under wine.
    I've used several big but a bit older windows applications with wine without any issues.

Blog Entries

Never tried it
    But doesn't MS have a Office Online. I thought it was all moving to the web?

I never had a file get corrupted in using either Open Office or now Libre Office.
    But then I don't use MS Office at all

I expect the unfriendly nature of MS, non compliance and general pain in the bottom features, all make for trouble
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

If you do original document in Windows Office you have a choice of saving in 'native' MS Office or in other office formats. If you need exact lay out for reader (but not for editing) then you can always save from MS Office in PDF format. Same lay out then seen in all systems, As I use both LibreOffice and MS Office at work on a Windows 7 machine, I always work in Libre Office then open and resave (different file ending) in MS Office for internal distribution. This way I have a LibreOffice version that is correct and opens on any computer, while internal distribution is correct MS Format for internal use with MS Office file particulars.
    Regards
    Eionmac
    openSUSE LEAP 15.1 , Windows 10 ; Various old computers dual boot and Live Linux distros