Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difficulties with activation of a current Nvidia graphic driver

Question Re: Graphic module reinstallation

I do not get error messages from the command "zypper in -f nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-desktop" for the two Linux versions I'm trying out.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And check that you don't have the G03 packages installed at the same time.
    Only one variant is installed here. - I become annoyed that the automatic dependency checks by the application "YaST2 software management" try to reactivate this version when I would prefer the newer one.

Default Re: Graphic module reinstallation

Quote Originally Posted by elfring View Post
    I do not get error messages from the command "zypper in -f nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-desktop" for the two Linux versions I'm trying out.
    And _what_ output did you get?
    If there were no errors, it should work.

Only one variant is installed here. - I become annoyed that the automatic dependency checks by the application "YaST2 software management" try to reactivate this version when I would prefer the newer one.
    Right-click on the x11-video-nvidiaG03 package in YaST and choose "Taboo - Never Install".

Question Re: Graphic module reinstallation

If there were no errors, it should work.
    The full resolution display works again for the graphic driver version 346.35-4.1 together with Linux 3.19.1-2.1 while initialisation of the corresponding kernel module still fails for Linux 3.17.4-1.2 at the moment.
    I observed the opposite situation while I was running the "G03 software packages" before.

Default Re: Graphic module reinstallation

The full resolution display works again for the graphic driver version 346.35-4.1 together with Linux 3.19.1-2.1 while initialisation of the corresponding kernel module still fails for Linux 3.17.4-1.2 at the moment.
    So the driver works fine now for Kernel 3.19.1, but doesn't for 3.17.4?
    Well, as I explained already, this is expected.
    If you install/compile the kernel module for Kernel 3.19.1, it won't work/be found on Kernel 3.17.4.

There's nothing you can do about it, except compiling it manually for the other kernel.

I observed the opposite situation while I was running the "G03 software packages" before.
    And what is the "opposite situation"?
    It worked with Kernel 3.17.4, and not with Kernel 3.19.1?
    Well, that's to be expected too, if you install the packages on Kernel 3.17.4.

Again, the nvidia driver packages are only intended to be used with the Kernel included in the corresponding openSUSE release.
    If you are using a different kernel, you are on your own. It might work, or not. And it definitely does not work with two different Kernel versions at the same time.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 26-Mar-2015 at 07:20.

Lightbulb Re: Challenges with graphic module installations

And it definitely does not work with two different Kernel versions at the same time.
    I expect usually that each graphic driver could work for a range of Linux versions. I might not be familiar enough with the exact usability ranges for the involved software components.

Default Re: Challenges with graphic module installations

I expect usually that each graphic driver could work for a range of Linux versions
    Yes, but only within the same minor version number.
    E.g. A module compiled for Kernel 3.17.2 might work fine with Kernel 3.17.4. You might have to manually create a symlink though, so that the module is actually found by the other kernel.

But 3.17.4 and 3.19.1 is definitely too far apart.

If you want to use different kernel versions, you should probably install the driver "the hard way" and setup dkms (this would recompile the kernel module automatically whenever you install/boot a new kernel).

Default Re: Difficulties with activation of a current Nvidia graphic driver

"the hard way" really is not hard
    and is a LOT less confusing then the rpm's

now i have been using the nvidia run since my Fedora 4 days and opensuse 11 days

some manual things need doing BUT it is not hard to remember to DO THEM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12