Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Installing Gnome Desktop on KDE machine

  1. #1

    Default Installing Gnome Desktop on KDE machine

    I am running 13.2 with KDE desktop on x86_64 machine and thinking of trying some different desktops. Looking at what is available directly from Yast, If I select the Gnome Desktop pattern I am given the option either for:-

    deinstallation of patterns-openSUSE-KDE4_pure-20141007-5.1.x86_64
    or not to install pattern:gnome or to break dependencies.

    Clearly I am not going to select the last three options so what is the deinstallation all about. I thought both desktops could exist on the machine depending on selection at boot time.

    If I allow the deinstallation and proceed, will I then get an option to start gnome desktop if I log out and back in again?

    Budgie2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,608
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Installing Gnome Desktop on KDE machine

    Just allow that deinstallation.

    All it does is remove one small text file that says you have pure KDE. It's harmless.

    And yes, you should then be able to login to Gnome or KDE.

    You might want to change the displaymanager. It is probably "kdm". But with "kdm" the Gnome keyring won't be automatically unlocked at login to Gnome. So use either "gdm" or "lightdm" (you might have to first install "lightdm").
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Installing Gnome Desktop on KDE machine

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Just allow that deinstallation.

    All it does is remove one small text file that says you have pure KDE. It's harmless.

    And yes, you should then be able to login to Gnome or KDE.

    You might want to change the displaymanager. It is probably "kdm". But with "kdm" the Gnome keyring won't be automatically unlocked at login to Gnome. So use either "gdm" or "lightdm" (you might have to first install "lightdm").
    Many thanks. How do I then change display manager or disable kdm or does this happen if I preinstall lightdm?

    On a related note, on two occasions at least if I use the little beetle in system tray that appears when updates are available to install these updates I frequently get an error message that an odd file is not available and the update in cancelled. If I then run apper however all updates appear to proceed. Are there different processes/commands being implemented?

    Budgie2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,608
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Installing Gnome Desktop on KDE machine

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Many thanks. How do I then change display manager or disable kdm or does this happen if I preinstall lightdm?
    Yast --> System --> /etc/sysconfig editor --> Desktop --> Displaymanager --> DISPLAYMANAGER

    The change might not take effect until a reboot.

    On a related note, on two occasions at least if I use the little beetle in system tray that appears when updates are available to install these updates I frequently get an error message that an odd file is not available and the update in cancelled. If I then run apper however all updates appear to proceed. Are there different processes/commands being implemented?
    I have not run into that, unless it is complaining about the install DVD or USB not being mounted. If that's what it is, then go to
    Yast --> Software --> Software Repositories
    and uncheck the "enable" box for that repo.

    It's also possible that it is just complaining about a failure to contact a mirror (for the repos), and on the next try the mirror is available. Or the mirror does not yet have a particular update, but it is there later.

    I usually turn off Apper and that update notifier, and handle updates with "zypper" at the command line.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: Installing Gnome Desktop on KDE machine

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Yast --> System --> /etc/sysconfig editor --> Desktop --> Displaymanager --> DISPLAYMANAGER

    The change might not take effect until a reboot.



    I have not run into that, unless it is complaining about the install DVD or USB not being mounted. If that's what it is, then go to
    Yast --> Software --> Software Repositories
    and uncheck the "enable" box for that repo.

    It's also possible that it is just complaining about a failure to contact a mirror (for the repos), and on the next try the mirror is available. Or the mirror does not yet have a particular update, but it is there later.

    I usually turn off Apper and that update notifier, and handle updates with "zypper" at the command line.
    Hi and thanks for the detailed help. All clear and done but...I am now in hasty retreat from my short excursion beyond KDE. Hated Gnome and couldn't get MATE to work and no time to play now. I have undone most of what I did to try these and will stick with KDE and concentrate on tuning it to what suits.

    Thanks again,
    Budgie2

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,608
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Installing Gnome Desktop on KDE machine

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi and thanks for the detailed help. All clear and done but...I am now in hasty retreat from my short excursion beyond KDE. Hated Gnome and couldn't get MATE to work and no time to play now. I have undone most of what I did to try these and will stick with KDE and concentrate on tuning it to what suits.
    Congratulations. You have learned the hard way, why we like KDE.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •