Thread: mysql_secure_installation - don't know root password

Default mysql_secure_installation - don't know root password

When I run mysql_secure_installation for the first time on OpenSUSE 13.1 it asks me for the root password (or leave blank if none) and it comes up with an error "ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2 "No such file or directory")"

Does this mean there's a root password set, and I don't know what it is, or is it something else? How do I resolve this error, and how do I reset the mySQL root password?

Default Re: mysql_secure_installation - don't know root password

Quote Originally Posted by davidcjohnson View Post
    Does this mean there's a root password set, and I don't know what it is, or is it something else?
    No. This means that mysql cannot be reached, probably because it isn't running at all.

How do I resolve this error, and how do I reset the mySQL root password?
    Run "sudo systemctl start mysql" to start the mysql server, and then run mysql_secure_installation again.
    To start mysql automatically on boot, run "sudo systemctl enable mysql".
    You can do both in YaST->System->Services Manager as well.

Btw, by default _no_ root password is set for mysql. That's why you should run mysql_secure_installation (although it's not strictly necessary).
    But by default also only connections from localhost are accepted.

Thanks, that worked. Just out of interest how do I reset the mysql root password in case I forget it?

Don't forget it. Resetting passwords is not easy as well it should be. The whole idea of a lock is to keep people out lose the key and you gotta call the locksmith. A password is just a key. Don't lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Don't forget it. Resetting passwords is not easy as well it should be.
    Actually it is quite easy provided you can login as root to the machine where the mysql server is running:
    https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/resetting-permissions.html#resetting-permissions-generic

Although, on openSUSE you cannot just run mysqld as root as suggested there, but it should work like this:
    Code:
    sudo mysqld_safe --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/run/mysql/mysqld.pid --socket=/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --skip-grant-tables
    Last edited by wolfi323; 21-Mar-2015 at 21:37.

The recommended way of changing a mysql/mariadb user password (including root's password) is
    Code:
    SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD(‘password’);
    when logged in as that user because this ensures that the password is encrypted immediately.

However, you should delete the entry in the hidden file .mysql_history immediately after you have made this change.