Thread: Managing repositories

Default Managing repositories

Hi!

After doing some twaking on openSUSE 13.2 I found that packman is a sepparate repository, though it's recommended here. I would suppose openSUSE developers trust packman's maintainers and their packages, of course, but this is a question I have: who checks this repo for autenticity? Who guarantees their packages are untouched and won't cause any intentional harm to us?
    Once openSUSE has a non-free repo, why not provide one for codecs that contains a few non-oss packages and a lot of the stuff present on packman's repo? On any other distro I've used (like Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro) I never needed to add a repo for media codecs/programs, I guess if openSUSE made such available it would be a good thing for us users

On the same subject, after using this guide (which, again, I assume is trustable) I was asked to either change vendor for a few packages or do nothing, so I checked the change vendor option. Does this change the vendor only of those packages?
    Let's assume a new package being installed is only available on the main openSUSE repository and thus require "package-a" from the main repo, but this "package-a" is installed with the packman repo. What would happen and how would one procceed?

Regards,
    Junior

Blog Entries

Default Re: Managing repositories

See also
    https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...ltimedia-Guide

The things you mention have been discussed many times here in the forum
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    See also
    https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.ph...ltimedia-Guide

The things you mention have been discussed many times here in the forum
    Thanks for the link

They must have been discussed before, but I did numerous searches about correlating terms and found nothing, it's impressive. Feel free to short the story down if you have the time.

Regards,
    Junior

Although it's been a while, I'd still like to know why packman is on a sepparate repo, who checks the packages and verifies them for integrity, etc. I did a somewhat extensive research on it, but seems DuckDuckGo doesn't want to show me the correct results.

Regards,
    Junior

Ok Packman is for at least a part due to the open in openSUSE. As an open operating system it does not support (directly) proprietary codecs and other binary only codes. Ergo Packman which is not a directly affiliated with openSUSE or Suse for that matter. It provides the proprietary stuff that can't be included in an open distribution for legal reasons. It is completely supportted by contributions and volunteer support. In some case the packagers are also the developers. Remember this is all community driven and supported and even though openSUSE is a test bed for Suse like Fedora is a test bed for RedHat, it is tested and supported by the community. I for one am paying back for this fine OS by helping people here. If you counted up the hours I have spent the OS has cost me thousands. But well worth it