OpenSuSE 13.1 missing java repository

Yesterday and today I’ve been getting pop-up messages from “apper updater” on three different machines about the Java repo being uncontactable. The boxes (64bit desktop, 32bit laptop and a newer 64bitlaptop) are all running open SuSE 13.1. I’ve checked repo settings in Yast and when I try to look on the web page of the Java repo, sure enough I get “error 404”. Going back a level in the repository I find there is one for opensuse 13.2 and also for earlier versions. I thought I remembered that 13.1 was to be designated a long term support release version or has that been abandoned? Does anyone know the best resoution for this? I’ve run into dependency issues in the past if I’ve used repositories for different versions but 13.1 definitely seems to have gone as of yesterday.

>:( Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing this?

David Casson

Please post the results of **zypper sl -d **and CODE wrap them (as we are not psychic and can’t see what repositories you are talking about).

Like this!

Ah yes, sorry about that, the line from the zypper result is below.

9  | download.opensuse.org-packages  | openSUSE BuildService - Java:packages | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Java:/packages/openSUSE_13.1/

I’ve just pasted the one that is showing as missing. The rest all seem OK. You must be psychic though really with that speed of response! :wink:

Best regards - David Casson

According to the Build Service description for that repository:

This is the Java Packages project. Its main purpose is to serve as development project for packages around the topic of Java in the openSUSE:Factory distribution. If you want to participate you can contact us individually or use our mailinglist opensuse-java@opensuse.org. Please report bugs to the respective bugowners as set.

This project also provides unofficial backports of newest packages to current latest openSUSE release. The packages are not tested and might randomly break.

So it seems to be their intention to only support the very latest version with backports, in this case that would be openSUSE 13.2 and not the older distribution releases.

Considering the amount of Java related packages and applications, I can understand why - even if they don’t really do testing on them other than just bake new versions in.

Hmmm

I see what they are saying. Perhaps it might be best to try the 13.2 Java repo which I see they do keep updating with both 32 and 64 bit versions built. Methinks I’ll try that on the old laptop and see how it goes and meantime disable the Java repo for the other two machines whilst testing. The awful truth is that I’m not really sure which Java packages I use and which I don’t. I can see therefore a period of testing is called for here while impact is observed.

Many thanks for the quick answers and the clarification.

David C.

Is there a specific need for the “latest and greatest” as OpenJDK is updated whenever security issues arise?

I’m sure you’re right. The need for a latest and greatest is now buried in the mists of time and certainly lost from my own foreground memory. I’d really prefer to keep my repo list as short as possible too. I’ll remove it completely and stick with the Open JDK. - Smart advice.