Enlightenment E 19 - Adding Key Bindings for Changing Brightness

For my system all major key bindings work (mute, change volume level, turn off screen) but I’m not able to change screen brightness. It should have changed by Fn + Left/Right Arrow

Screenshot for ACPI Bindings
http://paste.opensuse.org/images/77071880.png

Does Fn + Left / Right map to the backlight in other DE’s? If so you might want to try the following try setting the Brightness Down binding (on the left) to the Backlight down action(on the right), if that doesn’t work try setting the brightness Up / Down bindings to something obvious like launching a app or changing Virtual desktop to see if X is handling the keys right.

If the Keys are working with something else it means we need to look at why the backlight doesn’t get set, I may need help with this I don’t have anything with a working backlight. If the keys don’t work we need to have a play with X and key mapping

Yes in all other DEs - KDE, GNOME, MATE, etc

You might want to try the following try setting the Brightness Down binding (on the left) to the Backlight down action(on the right)

It didn’t work. The default setting for both was Backlight Adjust

if that doesn’t work try setting the brightness Up / Down bindings to something obvious like launching a app or changing Virtual desktop to see if X is handling the keys right.
Couldn’t get you.

If the Keys are working with something else it means we need to look at why the backlight doesn’t get set, I may need help with this I don’t have anything with a working backlight. If the keys don’t work we need to have a play with X and key mapping

Something else means?

Simontek on IRC you asked about Enlightenment profiles.

I’m using opensuse-classic-desktop profile. Then I thought of trying Mobile profile. It didn’t work either.

Try the following

sudo chmod u+s /usr/lib64/enlightenment/utils/enlightenment_backlight 

Didn’t work

Problem Solved
In Settings > Input > Key Bindings (or Everything Launcher > Key Bindings) XF86MonBrightnessUp and XF86MonBrightnessDown were mapped too Brightness Adjust I remapped it to **Brightness ****Up **and **Brightness Down **respectively. Doing that I’m able to change the brightness by respective key binding.

Solution courtesy: #e channel on freenode

Should I file a bug about XF86MonBrightnessUp and XF86MonBrightnessDown miss-mapped to Brightness Adjust.

I suspect these things are hardware dependent. With each computer maker doing their own thing. If you do a Bugzilla be sure to fully describe the hardware…