Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

  1. #21

    Default Re: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

    Better said, the installation at this point says 100% for "installing: plymouth-branding-openSUSE-12.2-11-12.1" and dont do anything.

  2. #22

    Default Re: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Henchwez View Post
    After all downloads were complete the installation stopped during

    installing: plymouth-branding-openSUSE-12.2-11-12.1

    What's that?
    That's the bootsplash theme.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henchwez View Post
    Better said, the installation at this point says 100% for "installing: plymouth-branding-openSUSE-12.2-11-12.1" and dont do anything.
    It's recreating the initrd, this might take a while.

    OOC, do you have a floppy drive? There was a bug in the kernel that could cause the bootloader installation to hang when there was none but the BIOS reported there is one. I think 12.2 was affected by this. If that's the case it should eventually continue (could take hours though).
    OTOH, if there is one, the bootloader installation will try to access it which takes time...

    Maybe this was your problem in the first place? You mentioned that installing some updates hang and you did a reboot then which broke your system...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 17-Mar-2015 at 04:41.

  3. #23

    Default Re: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

    Well...its the same way for over 12 hours.

    I don't think the problem was this the first time I tried update, because there was a different installing proccess and also because the konsole which was running the update stopped responding.

    Anyway...waiting for suggestions...if anything can solve it now.

  4. #24

    Default Re: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Henchwez View Post
    Anyway...waiting for suggestions...if anything can solve it now.
    Well, I would say, abort the update, by pressing Ctrl+C (maybe twice).
    If that doesn't work, press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to login to a different textmode console and kill the process with "killall -KILL zypper".

    Run "zypper dup" again afterwards, that update shouldn't be installed any more as it already should be installed.
    If it still wants to install that update, run "zypper al plymouth-branding-openSUSE" to lock it, and then "zypper dup" again.

    A wrong plymouth-branding-openSUSE shouldn't cause problems.
    But before you reboot, you probably should run "mkinitrd". If that's where it's hanging (and that's the most likely reason I think), your system probably won't boot otherwise.

  5. #25

    Default Re: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

    After Ctrl+C a list of warning appear...should I ignore?

  6. #26

    Default Re: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

    Well, the upgrade finished and I ran minitrd as you said. There was a message of "There was an error generating the initrd (1)".

    Another error messages that appear are

    /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme: line 65: awk: command not found
    /lib/mkinitrd/setup/03-plymouth.sh:line 50: awak: command not found
    impossible obtain state "/pango-basic-fc.so": file or folder not found
    ................................."/bin/etc/alternatives/awk": file or folder not found
    modprobe: <pdule hid_generic not found
    WARNING: no dependencies for kernel module 'hid-generic' found

    No volume groups found
    /etc/grub.d/90_persistent: line 36: awk: command not found

  7. #27

    Default Re: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

    Maybe it will need further ajudsts but I'm very happy to telll you that now I can at least login normally and the more "pedestrian" stuff are working normally.

    Thank you very much for your patience and help.

  8. #28

    Default Re: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Henchwez View Post
    After Ctrl+C a list of warning appear...should I ignore?
    What warning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henchwez View Post
    Well, the upgrade finished and I ran minitrd as you said. There was a message of "There was an error generating the initrd (1)".

    Another error messages that appear are

    /usr/sbin/plymouth-set-default-theme: line 65: awk: command not found
    /lib/mkinitrd/setup/03-plymouth.sh:line 50: awak: command not found
    impossible obtain state "/pango-basic-fc.so": file or folder not found
    ................................."/bin/etc/alternatives/awk": file or folder not found
    modprobe: <pdule hid_generic not found
    WARNING: no dependencies for kernel module 'hid-generic' found

    No volume groups found
    /etc/grub.d/90_persistent: line 36: awk: command not found
    I remember those messages from other threads where somebody downgraded from Factory to a released version.
    Shouldn't cause a problem, but you should reinstall gawk to be sure:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in -f gawk
    And re-create the pango module cache: (otherwise you might have problems with unreadable text in certain applications)

    Code:
    sudo pango-querymodules --update-cache
    And if you have a 64bit system:
    Code:
    sudo pango-querymodules-64 --update-cache
    Quote Originally Posted by Henchwez View Post
    Maybe it will need further ajudsts but I'm very happy to telll you that now I can at least login normally and the more "pedestrian" stuff are working normally.
    Good to hear!
    Can you post your repo list now, please? Maybe that would show what might have been the problem...
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    Or did you remove all other repos?

  9. #29

    Default Re: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

    Here goes the repo list. As the stats and names are not in English I kept only the URI. By the way, the ones that are enabled NOW are 1,2,4,5 starting from the bottom.

    | rpm-md | ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | yast2 | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/d...12.2/repo/oss/
    | yast2 | http://download.opensuse.org/source/...12.2/repo/oss/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...openSUSE_13.2/
    | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Optiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7260S,/dev/sr0
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...13.2/standard/
    | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://packman.inode.at/suse/12.2/
    | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/d...12.2/repo/oss/
    | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/12.2/
    | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/update/12.2-non-oss/
    | yast2 | http://download.opensuse.org/distrib.../repo/non-oss/
    | yast2 | http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...12.2/repo/oss/
    | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/source/...12.2/repo/oss/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.2/
    | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/12.2-non-oss/

  10. #30

    Default Re: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

    Quote Originally Posted by Henchwez View Post
    Here goes the repo list. As the stats and names are not in English I kept only the URI. By the way, the ones that are enabled NOW are 1,2,4,5 starting from the bottom.
    That's ok. Most of the repos in your list don't exist any more anyway.

    But this is the reason for your problems:
    That's the standard 13.2 repo. So you basically upgraded your system to 13.2 by mistake (but maybe not even _all_ packages). An online upgrade from 12.2 to 13.2 is unsupported, and with such a big jump you have to expect problems. And you should run "zypper dup" and disable all 12.2 repos to do an upgrade anyway.

    Remove that immediately.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •