Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

Default Re: System froze after update - OpenSuse 12.2

Quote Originally Posted by Henchwez View Post
    By the way, it seems my system has to be updated to run an offline upgrade and it is not recommended to jump releases (my version is 12.2 and so I could not go directly to 13.1 unless I go to 12.3 first).
    What can you tell me about that?
    Well, you can go to 13.1 directly, it's just not explicitely recommended to skip versions, because only an upgrade to the next version is tested really.
    But it should work, especially if you do the offline method.

And you don't really have to update the system for an offline upgrade, although it would not harm either.

I ran startx as root and a lot appeared in the text before the screen went black and what I can read that looks like an error is :

/usr/bin/gnome-session: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libdbus-glib-1.so.2: undefined symbol: g_type_check_instance_is_fundamentally_a
    xinit: connection to X server lost

So to run zypper dup I can disable the DEBUG and PHP repos?

You do have to change the repos to point to the new repo before you do a zypper dup. disable all but the base repos

It may or may not work. the offline method is more likely to work. Note doing the online method does not save all that much on the downloads. Hand having a bookable media come in really handy if you have a serious problem.

I ran startx as root and a lot appeared in the text before the screen went black and what I can read that looks like an error is :

/usr/bin/gnome-session: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libdbus-glib-1.so.2: undefined symbol: g_type_check_instance_is_fundamentally_a
    xinit: connection to X server lost
    Well, this definitely sounds like an installation problem...
    Apparently your installed dbus-glib doesn't match your installed glib.

Running a "zypper dup" with the standard 12.2 repos should hopefully fix that.

But as I wrote: if you get a conflict message and are not sure what to choose, better ask again before you continue.

So to run zypper dup I can disable the DEBUG and PHP repos?
    Yes. You can disable the debug repo anyway, you only need this if you want to investigate a crash.
    If you disable the PHP repo, your installed PHP will be switched back to the standard version shipped with 12.2.
    But AFAICS there is no php repo for 12.2 any more, so you should actually get error messages if you have it enabled...

But please run "zypper lr -d" and verify that all your (4) enabled repos really have 12.2 in the URL. Such a problem is typically caused by incompatible repos.

I checked the repo and ran zypper dup and the following happens:

2 problems:
    Problem: icewn-lite-1.2.38-15.1.2.x86_64 conflicts with icewn default, .. by icewn-default-1.3.7-21.1.2.x86_64
    Problem: patterns-openSUSE-base-12.2-5.5.1.x86_64 recquires module-init-tools, but could not be provided

Solution 1: desinstall icewn-default-1.3.8-3.1.8.x86_64
    Solution 2: desinstall icewn-lite-1.3.8.-3.1.8.x86_64

It is asking me to choose the solution or ignore or cancel and probably after I select it will as the same about error 2

I checked the repo and ran zypper dup and the following happens:

2 problems:
    Problem: icewn-lite-1.2.38-15.1.2.x86_64 conflicts with icewn default, .. by icewn-default-1.3.7-21.1.2.x86_64
    Problem: patterns-openSUSE-base-12.2-5.5.1.x86_64 recquires module-init-tools, but could not be provided

Solution 1: desinstall icewn-default-1.3.8-3.1.8.x86_64
    Solution 2: desinstall icewn-lite-1.3.8.-3.1.8.x86_64

It is asking me to choose the solution or ignore or cancel and probably after I select it will as the same about error 2
    Well, for icewm it should not matter what you choose. Depends on whether you use icewm or not, I suppose. icewm-lite is a bare minimum version, icewm-default contains more stuff. IIRC, icewm-lite was installed by default in earlier versions, so I'd suggest to deinstall icewm-default.

Regarding module-init-tools: they got replaced by kmod-compat in later openSUSE versions, so this would definitely suggest that you had a repo for a later openSUSE version (or Factory/Tumbleweed) added at some point.
    I would suggest to cancel for now, then run "sudo zypper in -f module-init-tools", and then run "zypper dup" again.
    You should only get the icewm conflict then, where you can basically choose what you want as mentioned.

I ran the module-init-tools as you said and then this error appeared:

kmod-compact-18-2.2.2.x86_64 installed obsolete module-init-tools < 3.16 by module-init-tools-3.15-3.6.1.x86_64

And then it suggets as solution 1 a very long list of downgrading and as solution 2 not install module-init-tools-3.15-3.6.1.x86_64

I ran the module-init-tools as you said and then this error appeared:

kmod-compact-18-2.2.2.x86_64 installed obsolete module-init-tools < 3.16 by module-init-tools-3.15-3.6.1.x86_64

And then it suggets as solution 1 a very long list of downgrading and as solution 2 not install module-init-tools-3.15-3.6.1.x86_64
    Choose 1 there, to downgrade all those things that require kmod-compat.
    They are supposedly from a newer openSUSE release (otherwise they wouldn't require kmod-compat) and would be downgraded by "zypper dup" anyway.

After all downloads were complete the installation stopped during

installing: plymouth-branding-openSUSE-12.2-11-12.1

What's that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast