OPENSUSE 13.2 - KDE - K3B CD Ripper creating invalid filenames

Hello. I’v been using K3B - CD ripper to digitize my collection. After ripping four CD’s creating albums into the music folder, I tested the new music files and they worked.

I couldn’t get them to copy to my FAT32 partition. So, I copied them to my flash drive (64gb NFTS format) and used the safe remove. When I rebooted to WIN7, I plugged in my flash drive. I tried to click on music folder to open it and nothing happened. I did this again and again, nothing happened. So, I did a properties - error check. It found invalid characters in filenames and proceed to correct the problem. Two folders were deleted and filenames were fixed in the other two.

What info is needed? The CD list and/or directories/filenames created by the K3B. Thanks.

Also, one CD wouldn’t display any tracknames in K3B. So, I couldn’t rip that one.

The k3b version for a start. And yes, the CD list and/or directories/filenames would be helpful as well.
Anyway, you should report bugs in k3b at http://bugs.kde.org/, not here.

But:
K3b creates the filenames from the track metainformation (normally fetched from CDDB or taken from the CDTEXT), so probably those contained invalid characters.
You can edit them in the track list though before you start ripping.
And you can change the filename pattern in the rip dialog.

Of course there are also other ways to rip Audio-CDs, dolphin or konqueror e.g.

I had that problem a few years ago, except that it was to an NTFS partition.

The main problem is that there are characters allowed in unix file names that are not allowed in Windows file names. So I just renamed the files before copying (replaced “:” with “_” and did similar fixes for other chars it didn’t like.

Also, one CD wouldn’t display any tracknames in K3B. So, I couldn’t rip that one.

I have run into that problem, too. So I used Dolphin to rip that CD. I just looked at the CD in Dolphin, and then I could browse to the ripped version (probably a virtual file, to be created as I copied).

This is of course one of the problems one can run into using non-Linux file systems. And specialy when one then starts using those in a non-Linux environment.

I doubt very much they are invalid file names on Linux (else they wouldn’t have been created by Linux in the first place). They might alos be valid on a non-Linx file system (who knows in a Linux forum ;)), but apparently they are not valid then when that file system is used on some Windows system. Maybe some Windows documentation defines what are allowed characters. Again, who knows on a Linux forum? :frowning:

A few days agao, I checked the mswin illegal characters. Two directory names had “:” in them. I edited the filenames with just hypen(‘-’). Everything worked.

The main problem is that there are characters allowed in unix file names that are not allowed in Windows file names. So I just renamed the files before copying (replaced “:” with “_” and did similar fixes for other chars it didn’t like.

We found a simular fix. The problem is solved. Thanks to all.

I can’t keep track of any more new usernames and passwords. So, any bugs I will report on here only. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s the list of ripped cd’s: (’:’ removed)

Fixed filenames:

Bangles - Playlist: The Very Best of the Bangles
Heart - Heart - Bad Animals
Starship - Greatest Hits: 10 Years and Change 1979-1991

These I managed to fix. This filename can’t be changed in mswin. In opensuse, I’ll have to rip this one again with k3b(3rd time). I hopefully fix the name in in opensuse

BELINDA CARLISLE - HEAVEN ON EARTH (SPECIAL EDITION)
I Get Weak (12" Version) .ogg Can’t rename, copy, or click on.

FYI…